• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bulb storage on bucket truck

SignsInTime

In our sign business, bucket trucks have become an absolute necessity. But a bucket truck that an average sign company can afford comes with some pretty glaring limitations. We have to buy used utility trucks that were never intended to haul flourescent lamps and the booms that work the best come with the beds that store the least it seems. Im sure we arent the only ones with this problem and was curious what solutions others had come up with for bulb storage on these trucks. I attached photos of our latest bucket truck for a reference point. Ive toyed with the idea of a false floor with slide out trays for full boxes of bulbs. I prefer to keep them in boxes for quick reloading speed, bulb safety and ease of inventory. Ive also looked at building a vertical box in the left side of the bed that wouldnt hog much bed space. Still using pull out trays. But then i still need some type of box for hid bulbs and loose led bulbs.

Attachments

• 8CC75189-3861-4EB2-99C8-E789B01812EC.jpeg
    8CC75189-3861-4EB2-99C8-E789B01812EC.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 347
  • 1D3750EE-3430-4A24-9BC6-2CD06C71B351.jpeg
    1D3750EE-3430-4A24-9BC6-2CD06C71B351.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 269

ams

I don't keep my lamps in the truck, I only transport them when needed for a job. However you will need to custom make something, it's very easy to do.
Get some kind of dividers like egg cartons and put inside a cardboard tube or box and cut out holes where the eggs were and slide them through.
Depending on your truck, you can strap, weld, hook, etc your container basically anywhere on the truck but make sure it isn't in your way from stepping on it or blocking where you put a ladder, etc.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I save the cardboard box that some of my bulbs originally came in and I just bring about 10-12 of each size whenever we do a job that requires it. I load it up that day and remove them when we get back but I'm only doing jobs that require bulbs about 2-4 times a month. If you needing them more then that I could see where having them on-hand is more important.

Here is a thread about Bulb Storage with pictures. Seems you'd have to build your own: http://www.thesignsyndicate.com/forums/index.php?/forums/topic/7437-service-truck-lamp-storage/

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
Build a box big enough for 1 case of each bulb size. We carry 3-10ft lamps, MH and LED MH replacements. Yes it costs to stock but save so much time.
The orange truck has everything we need. I only buy 10ft+ beds due to hauling signs, may take longer to find a truck but we'll worth it.

Attachments

• 20180306_171425.jpg
    20180306_171425.jpg
    830.2 KB · Views: 244

SignsInTime

We’ll typically service 4 to 10signs everytime this truck rolls. And out here in the country, we may run a 200mile circle. None of the towns we visit have a place to buy bulbs, heck most dont even have a sign shop. So we HAVE to carry a ton of materials on the truck just to finish a work order. And sometimes we have to get pretty creative with how we do it lol. We’ve almost weeded out most of the over length lamp signs in our circles so i dont typically carry them on the truck unless we know we are gonna hit one on that run. But i do need a full case of every size from 8’ down. Our old bucket truck was an over center style with a center mount pedestal. This allowed for a crossbed box for all of our lamps but it kills any side reach. Our new truck is an articulated telescopic and will make our work sooooo much easier and possible to get to. Unfortunately the majority of these type booms are mounted in the front of the bed which eliminates the crossbed lampbox. So. If i dont run across a great idea, ill share pics of my lampbox when its done and share with you all.

Johnny Best

Go to Search Signs101 at top right and put in Bulb Storage by ThatGuy Jan 5, 2017 he has some pics of how he built on his service truck for lamps. I remembered him posting so looked it up.

SignsInTime

Go to Search Signs101 at top right and put in Bulb Storage by ThatGuy Jan 5, 2017 he has some pics of how he built on his service truck for lamps. I remembered him posting so looked it up.
I have searched every sign forum (except syndicate) and absorbed all ive seen. Found some great ideas But still not quite what i was after. So i thought id narrow the parameters a bit and see if anyone else had a similar idea.

SignsInTime

I save the cardboard box that some of my bulbs originally came in and I just bring about 10-12 of each size whenever we do a job that requires it. I load it up that day and remove them when we get back but I'm only doing jobs that require bulbs about 2-4 times a month. If you needing them more then that I could see where having them on-hand is more important.

Here is a thread about Bulb Storage with pictures. Seems you'd have to build your own: http://www.thesignsyndicate.com/forums/index.php?/forums/topic/7437-service-truck-lamp-storage/
Thanks for the link to that. I always forget about the syndicate and a box along those lines is more like what im after. Great ideas! Thanks for the help guys :)

signbrad

We’ll typically service 4 to 10signs everytime this truck rolls. And out here in the country, we may run a 200mile circle. None of the towns we visit have a place to buy bulbs, heck most dont even have a sign shop. So we HAVE to carry a ton of materials on the truck just to finish a work order.

I would at least consider the possibility of using an enclosed trailer.

Here are some advantages:

No more daily loading of lamps and ballasts.
Simply transfer the boxes of lamps from your supplier's truck or warehouse directly into the trailer, without even taking them into the shop. For many shops, a trailer could hold the entire lamp inventory without too much trouble.
Not only is the double-handling of lamps and ballasts eliminated, but the shop space is freed up that is now occupied by a lamp rack.
Spent lamps can be off-loaded at the dumpster at the end of the day (or every other day).

If your entire lamp inventory is carried on the trailer, forgetting to load a particular size is eliminated (as long as you remembered to order everything). There would be some peace of mind in this.
Other supplies, such as lampholders, wire, conduit, connectors, etc. could stay in the truck boxes or migrate to the trailer.

Space is freed up on the truck.
A trailer would make it no longer necessary to "make room" for lamps and ballasts in truck tool boxes that may already be filled, or to try to secure loose lamps safely in the bed. Also, though I had a lamp box attached to the top of my utility bed on one side of my bucket truck, it did restrict the movement of the boom a little on that side of the truck, which a trailer would not have done.
If the trailer is not too short, oversized lamps can be carried as needed, even if placed diagonally in the trailer.
A trailer can even carry a ladder rack, possibly freeing up even more space on the truck.

Disadvantages of a trailer:

Hooking up and unhooking daily.
Yes, daily hooking up would get old, but it would still be easier and quicker than loading/unloading daily, which also gets old, and often requires numerous trips between truck and shop. And hooking up is a heck of a lot less troublesome than forgetting something and going back. And if the truck is dedicated to service work, might it even be possible to leave a trailer hooked much of the time?

Maneuvering on a job site.
True, some locations can be a problem if you are dragging a trailer. There may be a need to unhook occasionally to maneuver. Too much trouble? Maybe.
But if you are used to pulling a camper trailer on a vacation, you know that you can become adept at unhooking and hooking back up quickly. Backing a trailer has a learning curve, but you get better every time you do it. A hinged tongue jack can save time, too, even if it's an add-on that is in addition to a built-in jack that is a slow cranker.
And obviously, a double-parked truck with a trailer takes up twice the space of a truck alone. Not every location will be trailer-friendly.

A dedicated trailer to support a service truck may not be practical for many, or even most, shops. But the right circumstances could make it ideal and a real time saver.

Brad in Kansas City