• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Burnout Signs

RebelGraphics

I’m trying to target all these beautiful signs under Florida sun.
What materials do you recommend (substrate, vinyl, lam) or tips to make them last longer ???
This one in particular is about a year old, I remember seeing the guy install it.

Attachments

• E3D7E74F-56CC-43A6-BF94-CB02142F725C.jpeg
    E3D7E74F-56CC-43A6-BF94-CB02142F725C.jpeg
    565 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:

unclebun

That comes from crappy laminate usually. If you're going to print signs, we find that Grimco's Briteline Shield UV lasts about 4 years for not burning like that, but depending on the adhesive of the vinyl it's applied to it can pull up the edges of the print. Using calendared vinyls, it's hard to find any that state much more longevity than that though.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's a horrible sign. Good thing it's rotting away. You don't wanna prolong the life of things like that, so don't use that sign as a model.

RebelGraphics

Disclaimer: I did not do this. I was scouting a new area and noticed about 20% of the signs looked like this in a 10mile stretch. Believe me there were worse than this

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Avoid dark colored backgrounds especially on pvc. We have a laminate that we call "hood" laminate. It's specifically made for horizontal surfaces that get a lot of direct sunlight (car hoods/roofs/trunks). Unfortunately I don't know the specs on it. Our Print Technician knows all about it though.

Billct2

Use cut cast translucent vinyl whenever possible. When it has to be printed only the best cast vinyl & laminate. I wonder if reverse on clear substrate would hold up better?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The biggest problem with targeting people with junk signs is that they usually went with the cheapest guy to begin with or said they wanted something cheap. The other thing is these people will be happy to have you quote a good sign but when you show them it's $2000 they will look at you sideways and say, but I only paid $500 for the one that's up there now.

RebelGraphics

The biggest problem with targeting people with junk signs is that they usually went with the cheapest guy to begin with or said they wanted something cheap. The other thing is these people will be happy to have you quote a good sign but when you show them it's $2000 they will look at you sideways and say, but I only paid $500 for the one that's up there now.
True, but at the same time their poor judgement is part of your selling point.
Don’t focus on the negative

Johnny Best

I was told a long time ago that if you want to sell a customer a new sign, don't tell them their sign looks bad.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
True, but at the same time their poor judgement is part of your selling point.
Don’t focus on the negative
Im focusing on reality. Go sell people on their poor judgement and let me know how that one turns out.
Serious question here. If you owned a car wash, do you market to people with filthy cars or clean cars?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Im focusing on reality. Go sell people on their poor judgement and let me know how that one turns out.
Serious question here. If you owned a car wash, do you market to people with filthy cars or clean cars?
To answer your question, as a vendor to many car washes... they focus on people who have clean cars.

unclebun

There's nothing wrong with marketing to people that you can solve a problem for them. The sign is faded/burnt/broken/bulbs out/falling down. You let them know you can fix that problem plus you can improve the image of their business in the community, reach more and better customers for their business, help them win better customers who spend more money, etc.

RebelGraphics

There's nothing wrong with marketing to people that you can solve a problem for them. The sign is faded/burnt/broken/bulbs out/falling down. You let them know you can fix that problem plus you can improve the image of their business in the community, reach more and better customers for their business, help them win better customers who spend more money, etc.
thank you!!!!

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
This sign I did about 10 years ago. It was done on Oracal 3651G with 290G laminate. It burnt out within 4 years because it 3651G a shelf life of 5 years with an 8 year laminate. With it getting direct sunlight for over ¾ of the day, it was a short term job. It's also better for interior work as it shrinks up the a ¼".
The sign you posted should have been done in 7-9 year blue & red transparent vinyl as the white lettering would have just shown through. It might have lasted longer that way.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190706_125925.jpg
    thumbnail_20190706_125925.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 189