• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bus wrap problems...

401Graphics

So I'm going to be using busmark type material to do a temporary wrap on this bus. One problem i think i'm going to have is that these rails on the sides are gonna screw me up when it comes to aligning panels. Should i just lay the vinyl over them instead of working the vinyl around the rail? the problem is i cannot heat conform it around the rail. Well i could, but it definitely wont stay because its calendared vinyl. So do i just let it a make a huge tent over it or what? also there is paint chipping all over the bottom of the bus and around the rails.

Does anybody have a waiver form i can use to have the customer sign letting them know that the wrap is gonna fail in many places, and they agree to deal with it, and i will not be at fault?

Attachments

• DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC00010.jpg
    DSC00010.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC00009.jpg
    DSC00009.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 91

NHuckaby

i always try to sell something different and if they dont wanna do anything different. i wont do the job at all cause its going to be nothing but a headache. but i would just type you up a form and have the customer sign it saying your work cannot be guarnteed and any problems that happen wants it leaves your place is not your fault.

401Graphics

Anybody got ideas how to make this issue work with those rub rails?
I just emailed the customer and let him know there will be adhesion failure in chipped paint areas. and asked if i could remove the rails. (which means i have to go out and but rivets since the bus body panels are seamed in those spots also)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think I'd just panel right over them - split down the middle of the rail and then trim it back to the upper and lower edge of those extrusions.

Just be careful to not scratch the paint.........

wayne k
guam usa

401Graphics

I think I'd just panel right over them - split down the middle of the rail and then trim it back to the upper and lower edge of those extrusions.

Just be careful to not scratch the paint.........

wayne k
guam usa
I thought about doing this also. but worried that it will in a area where there is text. Also some of the rails have white paint on them and some have red. They will stick out like crazy and kill the design. Anyways i just talked to teh customer and he pretty much said do whatever i need to do to the bus to make the wrap turn out better. So ill be removing the rails, scraping chipping paint, and spray painting. this should be fun. But i know i wont be flipping out trying to deal with the rails now.

401Graphics

I dont think they are gonna pay me anymore money. My wrap quote went from like $7000 to $4700. which is why im using the cheaper "busmark" material. This is only going to be used for 3 months (its a political campaign bus). Then they will probably sell it or blow it up.

HulkSmash

sweet baby jesus. I would be sure to tell them you're not responsible if it fails in a few days. I'd sand it down to the aluminum and slap on another 300.

HulkSmash

I wouldn't wrap around the bottom of the bar either, i'd cut it off in the groove.

All this is for the good of longevity, make the customer understand

Jeff S

As far as the adhesion, I would be sure to use 3M Primer 94 around all edges. If you have to make relief cuts, make sure to primer those areas before you start wrapping. Make sure that any place that you stretch and push film into is post heated to 200F and re-squeegee every seam and edge really well.

Make sure that you remove any chipping paint and advise the customer that you are not responsible if the wrap fails.

I have a waiver of sorts that may be of use to you. Email me if you would like a copy of it.

Jeff

WCSign

the elections in like 80 days.. tell em the facts, they wont care.. itll still look good on the road and on TV

401Graphics

huh?
if it has to do with the color, then im not worried. Im using whatever color i got laying around. Unless primer is a better choice than paint

carter75

I am sure primer 94 is not recommended for Busmark. It is only for the 3M wrap vinyl I believe. We use primarily use Oracal and they sternly advise you not to use any primer.

On another note, if it does work on Busmark, and you won't be the person doing the removal of the wrap after the election, use it! It will help the wrap maintain its integrity and you won't be dealing with the headache!