• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Business Management - 6/16/2020 - open discussion

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I wonder if we could open up the topic of how to work on your business instead of in your business, quoting Michael E. Gerber. With just that little bit of an opening, what would you like to say?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Setting up systems and structure is the best way to be able to step away. I am a big fan of 5S but it takes a lot of work, dedication and employees that are willing to get on board with it.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Setting up systems and structure is the best way to be able to step away. I am a big fan of 5S but it takes a lot of work, dedication and employees that are willing to get on board with it.
Notarealsignguy
I looked it up and here is what I found.
5S is defined as a methodology that results in a workplace that is clean, uncluttered, safe, and well organized to help reduce waste and optimize productivity. It's designed to help build a quality work environment, both physically and mentally.
What part of that seems to work best for you?

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Notarealsignguy
Then I found this:
5S represents Japanese words that describe the steps of a workplace organization process. English equivalent words are shown in parenthesis
  1. Seiri (Sort)
  2. Seiton (Straighten, Set)
  3. Seiso (Shine, Sweep)
  4. Seiketsu (Standardize)
  5. Shitsuke (Sustain)

C

ColoPrinthead

5s is busy work with principle, you should know this Robert

C

ColoPrinthead

I would love to hear your feelings and thoughts on the common business practice of killing "do gooders" with "kindness" and what your opinion is on how most effectively execute it in a timely manner that ensures they will never bother you again.

Namaste

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Ditto for Michael Gerber. I like his "grand fatherly" demeanor on the audio book.

We've been doing 5S for a while now, the Shop Floor Series is a wonderful resource. I found my set at Goodwill for just a few bucks. They're quick-reads and informative. Here it is on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Shopfloor-Set-16-Books/dp/8174890122

JB
James Burke,
Because I have a keen interest in sign shop business management, I brought it to open up a discussion for anyone who might have
Ditto for Michael Gerber. I like his "grand fatherly" demeanor on the audio book.

We've been doing 5S for a while now, the Shop Floor Series is a wonderful resource. I found my set at Goodwill for just a few bucks. They're quick-reads and informative. Here it is on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Shopfloor-Set-16-Books/dp/8174890122

JB
James Burke,
Looks like you saved yourself a lot of money.
Every person here on Signs101 has to manage their business, even if they are a one person shop. My thought is to open a place for them to bring up their issues and then give someone who has some good pointers join the discussion.
Robert Armerding

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I would love to hear your feelings and thoughts on the common business practice of killing "do gooders" with "kindness" and what your opinion is on how most effectively execute it in a timely manner that ensures they will never bother you again.

Namaste
Namaste
I am not sure what you are getting at.
Robert Armerding

C

ColoPrinthead

What in your opinion is the most effective method requiring the least amount of my time while wasting the offenders precious time in hope they will think twice about wasting my time in the future (because I wasted X amount of their time). So I suppose if your a math guy you could have a formula, but I feel this is an interpersonal communication aspect that you just may have advice on that could help me be a better leader and hopefully not have to beat these people any more.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
What in your opinion is the most effective method requiring the least amount of my time while wasting the offenders precious time in hope they will think twice about wasting my time in the future (because I wasted X amount of their time). So I suppose if your a math guy you could have a formula, but I feel this is an interpersonal communication aspect that you just may have advice on that could help me be a better leader and hopefully not have to beat these people any more.
ColoPrinthead,
Still not sure what is going on with you. If you are serious about wanting to become a "better leader," John C. Maxwell's books have been very helpful. Maybe there are other Signs101 people who have other pointers. Then again, maybe you have something else in mind. Feel free to be straight up with me.

Notarealsignguy

5s is tough and takes a lot of time and dedication to get it right. Im not there yet.
It can also be taken overboard like anything else.
I went from an approach of heres what needs to get done and letting employees work from that to a daily schedule outlining every task throughout the day almost minute by minute. It looks like micromanaging but it has greatly increased production and lowered the stress level of employees. They know exactly what they are expected to do during the whole day, how long it should take and what they are doing next. There are no surprises, no more asking whats next and no more why did that take so long.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
5s is tough and takes a lot of time and dedication to get it right. Im not there yet.
I went from an approach of heres what needs to get done and letting employees work from that to a daily schedule outlining every task throughout the day almost minute by minute. It looks like micromanaging but it has greatly increased production and lowered the stress level of employees. They know exactly what they are expected to do during the whole day, how long it should take and what they are doing next. There are no surprises, no more asking whats next and no more why did that take so long.
Notarealsignguy,
First of all, a huge thank you for your input and transparency. Very much appreciated. If someone on Signs101 is just getting into S5, what would you recommend?

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I like this approach, however, how do you know minute by minute how long something is going to take? There are plenty of things we do everyday that could take 5 minutes or an hour depending on the circumstances. For instance, digging a hole for a sign post. Simple task but many factors are determined to calculate the completion time.

Jeremiah

So many people ask "what do I need to do to have a successful business" . A person could buy a very successful shop and lose money every year. Look at what Not to do also. Some owners could not run a lemonade stand. There are worker bees in the world. To quote Bill Murry " That's the fact Jack ".

Notarealsignguy

I like this approach, however, how do you know minute by minute how long something is going to take? There are plenty of things we do everyday that could take 5 minutes or an hour depending on the circumstances. For instance, digging a hole for a sign post. Simple task but many factors are determined to calculate the completion time.
There are always exceptions and that is fine but it shouldnt be everything. Its just an estimate so the employees have a goal. It also helps me see what can actually get done during the day and how the jobs will work through the shop. We all have a tendency to underestimate how long things will take and this helps seeing that.
If you priced a job and accounted for 2 hours, then that needs to be conveyed to the employee somehow and they need some accountability for this as well. Before I did this, there were hour jobs that would take 2, everything seemed to leak time. On jobs that theres a handoff, the next guy in line has accountability to push on the other to maintain his schedule as well.