• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

But really...how long or how to test?

D2S

Doing a quick search of the forums I have noticed my Oracle 651 and 751 should be placed in the dumpster since it is over a year or two old. I am currently moving to my new shop and plan on setting up a mount on the wall but was wondering if this vinyl is actually bad and if not how can I tell if it is actually bad?

Thanks

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Don't know if this is any indication of age... But I notice when vinyl gets old it sticks to the liner more and seems more brittle after a year or so.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is not something to go by, but we have vinyl that is wa-a-ay over 10 years old and it still works and holds up on the vehicles, just fine.

I am not encouraging anyone to do the same, but be smart about when or where you would use the vinyl. Treat it as a short term vinyl and use it on Cor-X and other stuff you'd normally would use junk.

Billct2

Yea, I've always though they should date vinyl, or I should date it when it comes in. But when I have a questions about the age of a roll I relegate it to "temp" signs.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
As mentioned, there is a shelf life for most vinyl but usually it is still usable after that date. It will just become more brittle which is harder to weed and may not have as long of an outdoor durability.

ams

I've never thrown out old rolls. I don't use the old ones for anything long term or expensive, but it's still good and works.