Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

But really...how long or how to test?

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by D2S, Apr 16, 2018.

1. D2S

D2S Active Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Doing a quick search of the forums I have noticed my Oracle 651 and 751 should be placed in the dumpster since it is over a year or two old. I am currently moving to my new shop and plan on setting up a mount on the wall but was wondering if this vinyl is actually bad and if not how can I tell if it is actually bad?

Thanks

Tags:
  2. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    if its a year old and kept inside you should be fine

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    Don't know if this is any indication of age... But I notice when vinyl gets old it sticks to the liner more and seems more brittle after a year or so.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    This is not something to go by, but we have vinyl that is wa-a-ay over 10 years old and it still works and holds up on the vehicles, just fine.

I am not encouraging anyone to do the same, but be smart about when or where you would use the vinyl. Treat it as a short term vinyl and use it on Cor-X and other stuff you'd normally would use junk.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Yea, I've always though they should date vinyl, or I should date it when it comes in. But when I have a questions about the age of a roll I relegate it to "temp" signs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. VanderJ

VanderJ Merchant Member - Printer Parts and Sevice

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    As mentioned, there is a shelf life for most vinyl but usually it is still usable after that date. It will just become more brittle which is harder to weed and may not have as long of an outdoor durability.

7. Signturesigns

Signturesigns Member

Apr 27, 2018
    New York
    I agree, kept using mine but for personal temp use

8. ams

ams Premium Subscriber

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I've never thrown out old rolls. I don't use the old ones for anything long term or expensive, but it's still good and works.