• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buy Onyx 12 Rip Center - Postershop Or Stay With Rasterlink?

Gary Wiant

Here is our setup we have a JV300 and a Summa S2 T140 and 2 computers.
I design and send prints directly from my system, then send the cut data to our second system. I have been using Sign lab for both cutting and print & cut for years with very little problems.

Whe I purchased the JV300 (8 color with Orange, Lt. Black, Lt. Magenta & Lt. Cyan) it seems the output hasn't been as good as with Rasterlink so I switched to printing with Rasterlink sent directly through Sign lab so cutting was still handled through Sign labs VPM on our production system. This worked great until I purchased the Summa & I cannot print OPOS marks through Rasterlink, so now I'm back to RIP & print through Sign lab. Unless I want to send my design from Signlab, into Corel set the registration marks then send the print to Rasterlink and send the cut data through Summa's bridge cutting program. To use this feels very clunky and not productive at all.

My question is, has anyone found any advantage to Onyx over Rasterlink?

With 1 printer and 1 cutter are the added features of postershop worth the additional $$$ over RIP Center?

I looked the RIP Center to Postershop feature list but coming from Sign lab the terminology is different & I'm a bit lost. When Onyx is talking about control of specialty inks, do they mean orange or just white & silver?

Thanks for the help

Bly

I haven't used the other rips but have used Onyx for years and find it great.
Maybe dl a trial version and see how you like it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Trial - Fully working for a small time period
Demo - limited but no working time period

But yes onyx has a 30 day Trial on their website. Only thing that doesn't work is the ICC profile engine.

To answer some of your questions about onyx.
Onyx already knows how to interpret orange & green. CMYKOG for example. even RGB printers.
Speciality colours are Spot colours. configurable to any colour your printer can accept as a spot colour.
The rest you can find out by trying it out.

Gary Wiant

Pauly thanks so special ink is white & silver? I'm not sure if Rip Center has all the needed features or if it is stripped down. Once I get the trial version will I be able to tell which features are in Rip Center, Poster Shop & Production house?

Thanks

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
This will help
http://www.onyxgfx.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Products_Comparison_2016_dark_letter.pdf

Basically RIP center is just basically a RIP. put files in and it'll out put them to your printer. with basic features.
Postershop is more common. a lot of features.
Thrive is their flagship software (What i run) uses the adobe engine.
But that sheet will help you for what you need.

You are jumping into a very good RIP so it'll be more pricey than the rest of them.