Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying First Digital Printer - Used Or New?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Sven, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Sven

Sven Member

Apr 1, 2011
    NE NJ
    I’m looking into buying a digital printer and laminator, and I’m hoping spend under 15G. Is it worth it to buy used, or is it not worth the aggravation? I had someone tell me that a printer will likely start to have problems after about 5 years of use. Anybody have positive or negative experiences with a used printer?

Tags:
  2. rcook99

rcook99 Very Active Member

May 25, 2006
    NE
    I am waiting for my used Mutoh VJ1204 to be delivered from the dealer. It has a new print head and mother board and has been completely gone through. I will let you know how I make out. For me I just did not want to spend the money on a new one based on my volume. In fact the dealer is Graphic Resource Systems in NJ. I have been dealing with Dave and I am pretty sure he has another Mutoh he is taking in that is either 54" or 64" not sure. I know they go completely through them before putting them back up for sale. Mine even came with a takeup reel. I will say to this point they are very easy to deal with.

3. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    If 15k is your limit, you're gonna have to go used. With any printer, it's only wise to get a matching [in size] laminator. Also, go with a 54" or larger if you can find it. There's a Merchant Member here that serves your area and deals with new & used equipment and his Dad is a top notch tech.

Dave at GRS or DanRamm76

4. Graphix Guru

Graphix Guru New Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Galena, OH
    Hi Sven,

If you're looking to buy a good used digital printer & laminator, I have a lightly-used HP Designjet 9000S & a GBC Arctic Titan 165 for sale. Both are in excellent condition & were bought in October of 2006. The HP was under warranty until 4/11 & continues to print great. I can get you up & running with the printer, laminator, infrared dryer (to dry your solvent prints) & ONYX Postershop RIP software for well under $15K.

If you'd like more specifics on everything I'm selling, email me at sales@gurugraphix.net.

Thanks,

Trent

5. nate

nate Merchant Member

May 10, 2007
    Utah
    Sven,
    I have 2 Roland XJ-740 units and 1 Epson GS6000 for sale, all under 15K. PM me for details.

Thanks,
    Nate

6. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
    Out with the HP9000, in with...???

Trent, what did you buy to replace the HP9000 and the GBC Arctic Titan?

7. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    +1
    i have delt with these guys also and have ahd good results