Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Gold Leaf online, anyone done it?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Phil Swanson, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Phil Swanson

Phil Swanson Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Adirondacks
    I havn't done any gold leaf work for many years. I agreed to restore a carved gold leaf sign for a good customer and started looking at gold prices, WOW! I noticed that some companies offer 23K gold leaf online at very reasonable prices. I live in the boonies so getting it is not easy.
    Has anyone tried ordering gold online? If so how did it work out?

Tags:
  2. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    I order gold from The Gold Leaf Company.
    http://www.goldleafcompany.com/

I've gotten both 23K gold patent and loose leaf, and they are good enough for me. But I'm not really an expert, so who knows. I'm sure if you go with Manetti or other Italian gold leaf, it will probably be a better, but I'm content with what they claim is leaf from Germany.

3. lexsigns

lexsigns Premium Subscriber

Dec 24, 2007
    Burlington ma
    I use art essentials in NY- they have many different to choose from and competitive pricing- the more you buy the better the deal. Get aleast 10 packs for the best pricing. I would be weary of buying online from an unknown co- if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Gold is thrpough the roof now.

4. lexsigns

lexsigns Premium Subscriber

Dec 24, 2007
    Burlington ma
    I notice most on that site say Imitation... It will tarnish so if you want real use 23k

5. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I also use Art Essentials, they have a lot of alternative sources, mostly Asian that have some good pricing.