• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying my first large CNC Router

signlords

Hi all. I am brand new to this forum. I did do a quick search before posting this as I did not want to start out in poor form posting a question that has been asked 100 times. I have been outsourcing all my CNC work for years and am ready to make the investment in my own 48" x 96" CNC router. I know a bit about them but want to make sure I don't regret buying something we outgrow in a very short time. I am on a limited budget but if the answer is save up till I can afford what I need that's ok too. Currently we mostly deal with cutting MDF, soft wood, acrylic, etc letters. I would like to also get a vacuum table and do our formed faces in house as well. So is it completely impossible to safely secure foam for forming faces if I do not buy a CNC table with vacuum? Or is it just a nice add on to make it easier. We probably will not be cutting any materials deeper than 1" and soft other than foam for formed faces. We do not do much metal cutting, maybe some thin aluminum in the future. I have looked at the Limac routers, as well as a couple super generics on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-X-96-CNC...111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234ac8061f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3KW-4ft...716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f407129b4

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What should I expect to pay and what features really pay for themselves?

Eric H

I have only used one with a vacum table.On the rare occasion that I need to clamp something down it's a major pain in the butt. I'm sure people do go without but I think it's money well spent.

player

Those look like really crappy cnc machines.

What is the bearing and linear rail system?

What type and size of steppers?

Controller? Controller cards? Voltage to steppers?

Control software?

Etc...

chafro

Multicam makes good routers.

if you need router/cutter we love our ESKO, have no idea how we did it without it. Has taken the company to another level.

SebastienL

Personally, I wouldn't buy such a large machine off ebay. I know this is a large investment. But you need to consider availability of replacement parts if something should break. And you know something will break 2 hours from a deadline.

Software, service, training... all things to consider.

We have a Multicam, it's a workhorse. There are others...

Ditchmiester

Please don't make the mistake my company did when purchasing a large format CNC Router. We went with the cheapest option we could find. A small company out of Michigan and it has been nothing but a nightmare. It spends most of its days sitting collecting dust because the software that runs it is complete garbage. We are in the process now of looking to replace that with a name brand either AXYZ or MultiCam. The reason those machines are more expensive is because they will work from day one. As long as you know what you are doing when it comes to running a router.

synergy_jim

Hi all. I am brand new to this forum. I did do a quick search before posting this as I did not want to start out in poor form posting a question that has been asked 100 times. I have been outsourcing all my CNC work for years and am ready to make the investment in my own 48" x 96" CNC router. I know a bit about them but want to make sure I don't regret buying something we outgrow in a very short time. I am on a limited budget but if the answer is save up till I can afford what I need that's ok too. Currently we mostly deal with cutting MDF, soft wood, acrylic, etc letters. I would like to also get a vacuum table and do our formed faces in house as well. So is it completely impossible to safely secure foam for forming faces if I do not buy a CNC table with vacuum? Or is it just a nice add on to make it easier. We probably will not be cutting any materials deeper than 1" and soft other than foam for formed faces. We do not do much metal cutting, maybe some thin aluminum in the future. I have looked at the Limac routers, as well as a couple super generics on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-X-96-CNC...111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234ac8061f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3KW-4ft...716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f407129b4

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What should I expect to pay and what features really pay for themselves?

Ebay is not the place to buy a CNC Router. If you cannot afford a new Multicam, look at used ones. We have a 5x10 with vacuum and tool changer for sale right now.

fixtureman

The first one you have listed is from a seller that had been banned from ebay for fraud and he changed his name. the second one is a cheap Chinese one that looks like a good price but the shipping is only to get it to a port and you have to pay customs brokerage fees any storage at the port and shipping from the port to your place. Once you have it you have no support for it. I would go with a 5X8 or 5x10 machine if I was doing it again. I have a Shopbot that has served me very well and there are a lot of them in sign shops pretty much bullet proof.

signlords

Synergy, I tried to message you about the one you have for sale but dont have enough posts to PM yet lol. If you see this contact me or I will make more posts till I can message you. :)

iSign

Signlords, his profile, About page, shows his company name as:

Synergy Sign & Graphics, in Strasburg Ohio.

Perhaps you could find his phone number or website with email, as other contact options

(I have the same machine & it's a workhorse to say the least!)