• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Buying New Cutter/Contour Cut Question

3DsSigns

I am needing to buy a new cutter for my shop. My old GRC-61 has finally bit the dust. I run a small shop and out-source all my printing needs. I usually have them contour cut my stuff for me. I am looking to possible buy a Graphtec with the *ARMS Automatic Registration Mark Sensor. My question is, is it possible for me to contour cut a job that I have had wholesale printed? The company I use charges $15 per cut file. I know that's not a lot but every little bit helps. Just wondering if I can make this work since I must buy a new cutter anyway. Thanks for your help!!!

Bigdawg

Just Me
What program are you using for your artwork? Illustrator / Graphtec combo uses Cutting Master and you add the registration into the Illy file when you create it. There shouldn't be any issue for you using the marks when you get it back to cut from your Graphtec. I print on my Roland and cut on my Graphtec with those same marks.

3DsSigns

Right now I have been using CorelDraw X6 to create the print files. I also use the LXI Master Plus to do a lot.

3DsSigns

Yes that looks like it might work. But I usually send to the wholesale printer as either .ai or .pdf. I'm not sure what software they then use to print it.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You might get it to work. Printing and subsequent contour cutting are usually two sequential steps carried out by the same RIP, that would be because the software knows where everything is. Creating a file, printing that file, and then contour cutting the result might be iffy. Whatever's on the file and what gets printed may or may not be same as what the RIP would have done. Give it a try, the worst that can happen is that it won't work.

Bly

Work out what rego marks you need for your cutter and place them on your print file so that for the printer it is simply another print job for them.

ikarasu

As mentioned. If you have a graphtec... You set up cut marks within the image. Send them the image... They print it, then when you get it back you can cut it.

You'd need 4-5 inches of trailing space on the print so you can cut it easily. Otherwise you'll be taping a runoff to the end so that the printer doesn't roll past the media cutoff. That's about the only problem I can think of with outsourcing your prints and cutting at home.

Well... If you load it wrong, or it cuts off because it read the mark wrong.... Or some other mistake, you'll need to wait for a reprint and redo everything.

If most of your work is outsourcing of keep it to that though. A graphtec will run you $4-5000. At $15 per cut file... You'll need to print 300 different cut files. If your outsourcing that much, it may be time to buy your own printers and cutter.

wleong

I am needing to buy a new cutter for my shop. My old GRC-61 has finally bit the dust. I run a small shop and out-source all my printing needs. I usually have them contour cut my stuff for me. I am looking to possible buy a Graphtec with the *ARMS Automatic Registration Mark Sensor. My question is, is it possible for me to contour cut a job that I have had wholesale printed? The company I use charges $15 per cut file. I know that's not a lot but every little bit helps. Just wondering if I can make this work since I must buy a new cutter anyway. Thanks for your help!!!

I have a Mimaki CG-130SRIII cutter available. It is new and still crated in its shipping pallet. Let me know if you are interested.

I'm facing the same thing, my Mutoh needs a new head and prints look good as long as I don't have to print a solid black which shows banding. I'm thinking of just subbing out my prints since I've been doing more Routed and Dimensional signs anyway and I'd rather invest in a larger CNC. Print shops are like coffee stands around here... there's one on every corner practically.
The communication language on the plotter has to be switched from HPGL(communicates with RIP program) to GPGL (communicates with Cutting Master) to get that to work.
I used to print some decals on my Mutoh for a guy that he cut on his Mimaki CG-130. I just printed the PDF file he sent me with the registration marks already there which he created in Fine Cut (Mimaki's cutting program... like Cutting Master is for Graphtec). I just printed registration marks along with the graphic and of course left enough room around for the rollers and top and bottom.
I can't remember how to switch from HPGL to GPGL... I'll need to read the manual...ha ha it's been a while.
Send some sample files with the registration marks generated in Cutting Master to the company that prints for you. Just have them print on cheap vinyl and give it a shot. I need to learn how to dial this all in myself as well. Maybe we can PM each other and get it figured out. I know it can be done.
Good luck!

Bigdawg

Just Me
You might get it to work. Printing and subsequent contour cutting are usually two sequential steps carried out by the same RIP, that would be because the software knows where everything is. Creating a file, printing that file, and then contour cutting the result might be iffy. Whatever's on the file and what gets printed may or may not be same as what the RIP would have done. Give it a try, the worst that can happen is that it won't work.

Actually this is incorrect. We print and cut daily - and have for over ten years - on 2 separate systems. The only time we cut out of the same RIP (versaworks) is when the decals are quicky-sticky no laminate and they are printed/cut before ever leaving the machine. Everything else gets printed on the Roland with Graphtec marks and there has never been a printer-related issue with the crop marks. As long as the printing company he/she is sending to has crisp prints, there should be no issue or concern at all.