• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Calculating Rolled Media Length

Warmoth

Hey guys, I had a little tool I thought could be useful to share. I'm not sure if there's something quite like this that people use (Customizable)- If there is, I've missed it.

I've made a "calculator" (Google Spreadsheet) to determine how much material is left on a roll of vinyl (or whatever else).
You input some initial measurements to get it working. Once you have, it's very easy to use.

I've made a quick video demonstration. I've put a link to the spreadsheet in the video description. You'll need to save a copy to your google-drive, and then you can use it yourself.

Calculating Rolled Media Length using a Spreadsheet - YouTube

I don't use it everyday, but it can be pretty handy at times. If you think you'd find this useful, I'd suggest setting it up and giving it some tests. To check that you've entered accurate material measurements.

Let me know what you all think.

Pippin Decals

Ya there are a few and the one i have is pretty simple to use and really breaks down the cost per foot,inch, etc etc and then there is a calculator on the right side that does math for you to tell you what a size of a design will cost you to make .. pretty cool to use.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I was working on this same thing way back when we would count vinyl inventory at the end of the year. can't remember the formula I came up with. Out of the bx 150' roll, Pi, radius, circumference, core size, media thickness etc. all had a play in the formula. Now our print tracks the media used and we just jot it down on the edge after printing.

bannertime

That's cool, thanks. I've wondered about how to do that. Occasionally someone will forget to write down the number the printer gives us or run it without length tracking.

Edit: At first I had an issue with negative numbers, but then I realized you really did mean the diameter of the whole roll. It's pretty dang accurate to what we're tracking.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Also, if you have a newer model Mimaki or Mutoh, there is a function that allows you to keep track of roll length. Roland might have it too but I haven't seen it. You put the roll length into the printer and it keeps track of how much it uses and then tells you how much is left when you change the roll. Then you just write it on the roll and store it.

Cranniga1

Also, if you have a newer model Mimaki or Mutoh, there is a function that allows you to keep track of roll length. Roland might have it too but I haven't seen it. You put the roll length into the printer and it keeps track of how much it uses and then tells you how much is left when you change the roll. Then you just write it on the roll and store it.
Do you know how you do this in rasterlinks? I have a JV300-160

Warmoth

Ya there are a few and the one i have is pretty simple to use and really breaks down the cost per foot,inch, etc etc and then there is a calculator on the right side that does math for you to tell you what a size of a design will cost you to make .. pretty cool to use.

That's not quite the purpose of this tool..but I do have an advanced spreadsheet that does extreme breakdowns of costs per production, that includes overhead, employees, etc. =)

Warmoth

For those that are curious, this is the formula under the hood

L = (Pi/4)(T²-C²)/M

C = Core Diameter
M = Material Thickness
T = Total Roll Diameter

Basically, the best thing about the spreadsheet is that you only have to input the variables once, and it saves them forever.

I've got mine setup for various 3M vinyls (Cast, calendered, Reflective), Printed banner, Magnetic, Masking, Lamination.

The lamination is great - Say I've got a long print, I'm not sure if I've got enough lamination left to get in one shot. This takes the guesswork out.

Z SIGNS

I never cared how much was left on a roll.I always have a backup roll of media.When it gets low I order another.When it gets to the very end it's done and we put a new roll in.Why do you need to know how much is left ?

bannertime

I never cared how much was left on a roll.I always have a backup roll of media.When it gets low I order another.When it gets to the very end it's done and we put a new roll in.Why do you need to know how much is left ?

:cool1: Not everyone prints roll to roll everyday or stock backup rolls of lightly used material. Also, like Warmoth already said, it's great for estimating length of laminate.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Thanks, I may not use it - but I just might. We're approaching year end inventory time and I wasn't sure how I planned on doing it this year.