• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caldera color adjustment for glass adhere frost

bigben

So I'm using Caldera v9 with my HP L260 and printing on the glass adhere frost material. So far, the material is great for second view printing since I don't have white ink. But my color lack of contrast compared to a regular print on white vinyl. I understand I will never achieve the same colors but I was wondering what adjustment I can make in Caldera to have better colors. I've talked to my distributor and the people at glass adhere, but never had a good answer.

thanks.

a77

When printing on clear without white, I just do a double strike. For a lot of colours it works out OK.

bigben

Does the double strike for the L260 would be the equivalent of the high density function?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Different names for different rips. But it's called either "double strike" or "density mode" double layer? or something like that.

All printers should be able to do it. I dont know much about Caldera, but if you dont have the function, you most likely need to create a custom profile, But you'll need a transmissive spectrophotometer which are not cheap. But that's another story.

bigben

Different names for different rips. But it's called either "double strike" or "density mode" double layer? or something like that.

All printers should be able to do it. I dont know much about Caldera, but if you dont have the function, you most likely need to create a custom profile, But you'll need a transmissive spectrophotometer which are not cheap. But that's another story.

I have a selection when I create my profiles that is called ''high density''. Right now, the only profile using this is for backlit film. Is it the right one?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I have a selection when I create my profiles that is called ''high density''. Right now, the only profile using this is for backlit film. Is it the right one?

That's the one. Try using the back lit print mode on a test piece and see how it goes.
Do you have a spectrophotometer? if so, which one?

bigben

That's the one. Try using the back lit print mode on a test piece and see how it goes.
Do you have a spectrophotometer? if so, which one?

I will try the backlit profile, but I would prefer to create/use another one because it is only in 16pass mode.

Yes I have a spectrophotometer, it's a xrite I1 pro 2.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
To create a back lit profile, you need a transmissive spectrophotometer. Basically what that does is it will shine the light though the print illuminating the patches and getting a reading that way. A conventional spectrophotometer is a "Reflective" type where it shins the light onto the print and the light reflect from the patch into the sensor getting the reading that way.

So your xrite i1 pro 2 isn't able to create a back lit profile. You need something like a Barbieri LFP or a Barbier Swing

Your best chance is getting some canned ones and trying. Or there has to be a way to increase the density of the normal print. I.e double strike or density mode. What that does is usually doubles the passes. so if it's a 6 pass print, it'll be a 12 pass print as you're putting twice as much ink to build up the colours.

I hope that makes sense and clears it up for you.

bigben

So I just wanted to make a quick follow up on the subject. I've used a backlit film profile (16 pass, high density), then just adjust the curing temperature and voilà. The prints look very similar to my backlit prints and when installed on a window the colors are so much better than a regular vinyl profile. It does not beat a print on clear vinyl with a white background, but it is very close.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
So I just wanted to make a quick follow up on the subject. I've used a backlit film profile (16 pass, high density), then just adjust the curing temperature and voilà. The prints look very similar to my backlit prints and when installed on a window the colors are so much better than a regular vinyl profile. It does not beat a print on clear vinyl with a white background, but it is very close.

Transparent print vs a normal print on white are 2 different things. glad you got it sorted.