• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caldera RIP and iPFx400 printers?

dypinc

Anybody running this combination. With other RIPs I can pull/sync the Custom Papers from the printer (iPF 8400) but this function does not seem to be implemented in Caldera. Am I missing something or has someone figured out a way to do this.

chinaski

Maybe it's only available with Mirage RIP? We are planning to buy IPF 4000, which has the option for Mirage RIP for 450€.

How do you like Caldera paired with your IPF, other than this problem? We already run Caldera with our Arizona so it seemed logical to keep same RIP, but was thinking Caldera may not have best driver outside of Grand Format printers.

Can you make your own profiles or is this something you're trying to avoid?

dypinc

I have Fiery XF and a demo of Colorgate, but I would really like to get away from Windows OS. Over the years I have tested Caldera a few times and I really like it for the most part but I always seem to find short comings in it that keep me from using/buying it. This problem with the iPF8400 and Caldera not being able to pull in custom papers and its workarounds are just acceptable.

As I remember Caldera in fine for making profiles which is a necessity but I would need to take another at look EasyMedia's GCR capabilities. Seems like no matter what RIP I test I always come back to Colorgate as the most usable but what I don't like about Colorgate or maybe it is Windows in that I have 32GB of RAM on the RIP box and with Colorgate I can't get it to use more than 6GB of RAM. I have always used Unix based OS or Linux and love how it uses all the RAM you can give it. Maybe I should rethink how to build a Windows box and use PCIE NVMe M.2 Internal SSD as the boot drive instead of a lot of RAM like I am used to on Unix/Linux boxes.

JPR-5690

We use Caldera with a pro4000, an ipf9400, and an HP 560. Caldera will sync the media profiles that are on the HP and the pro4000 but not the 9400. I haven't asked, but my guess is that the ipf is a relatively older line of printers that aren't necessarily meant for a production work flow as much as they're meant to be a professional postscript printers - aka the media profiles aren't stored on the printers themselves the same way that newer models do.

I used the media configuration tool to upload profiles onto the 9400 and then I import those same profiles into Caldera. It's another step, but it works just the same. It's just a manual process as opposed to an automatic sync.

dypinc

The problem I have with Caldera and the iPF8400 is that I have custom papers with specific settings setup on the 8400 that I can use with Caldera. With Fiery XF and Colorgate I can sync and use these settings. It is just a shame I can't use them with Caldera. I though maybe when a custom paper is selected on the printer there was a way to not override this with a canned media setting which is only what is available in Caldera. The mismatched paper setting just does not allow the custom setting when another setting comes from Caldera or the driver. In this situation it would be nice if it would unless you know another setting which would allow that.

Maybe someone on here is interested in a used iPF8400 and I can replace it with a Pro4000.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Anybody running this combination. With other RIPs I can pull/sync the Custom Papers from the printer (iPF 8400) but this function does not seem to be implemented in Caldera. Am I missing something or has someone figured out a way to do this.

I'm not sure of what your understanding of how things work but with Caldera (and some other top shelf RIPS) one would not "pull" much of anything from the printer. In fact quite the opposite. The RIP takes over and controls most all the aspects of setups. The RIP will drive the printer and over-ride the printer's driver controlling calibration, screening options, extending print length, etc.

Also, RIPS need to page to disk, RAM, not so much, making RAM hardly a concern nowadays.

How are you creating your ICC output profiles at this point?

dypinc

I don't think you understand the iPF Canon printers. You can create custom papers with various setting such ink density, vacuum, head heights, etc. I want to be able to use these custom paper settings with the Caldera RIP. However it appears Caldera does not have the ability to import these custom papers the way other RIPs do. As for profiling the 8400 for what I need I address it as an RGB device most of the time and I have found the best RGB profiling package to be i1Profiler, so no I am not really controlling much from the RIP in the way of linearization, ink limiting, etc. Mostly nesting is the biggest reason and easy of printing not using printer drivers that at times can be quite problematic.

bteifeld

Substratia Consulting,Printing,Ergosoft Reseller
Onyx Production House can retrieve the media configuration information from the x400 series of canon printers. For some reason, Ergosoft and Caldera choose not to implement this functionality, purportedly because the SDK canon provides them to implement their printer drivers may not support programming to enable them to do this. The question I have always had is why is it Onyx seems to have been able to implement this, and everyone else did not, or can not?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I don't think you understand the iPF Canon printers. You can create custom papers with various setting such ink density, vacuum, head heights, etc. I want to be able to use these custom paper settings with the Caldera RIP. However it appears Caldera does not have the ability to import these custom papers the way other RIPs do. As for profiling the 8400 for what I need I address it as an RGB device most of the time and I have found the best RGB profiling package to be i1Profiler, so no I am not really controlling much from the RIP in the way of linearization, ink limiting, etc. Mostly nesting is the biggest reason and easy of printing not using printer drivers that at times can be quite problematic.

Take a look at the link to find the type of product which should handle what you're looking for.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/
$79.99 Qimage Ultimate is not a RIP although many refer it as so. It is a layout tool for nesting along with very capable color management and image processing for many RGB printers. It will use your existing printer driver. Primarily Windows but there is also a new Mac version.

If you're interested and find the time, you might better educate yourself about how RIPs control printers.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I have been using RIPs to control printers for 30 years. I think I know how RIPs can control printers.

Just the other day I learned I've been playing two Beatles songs incorrectly on the guitar for 15 years. I guess that makes 30.

bteifeld

Substratia Consulting,Printing,Ergosoft Reseller
That is just simply not the case. Fiery XF and Colorgate both implement this.

Please forgive my improper use of the term 'everyone', and thank you for mentioning the other rip software that also provides this feature.
It strengthens my question as to why Caldera did not implement it.