• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caldera VisualRIP+ vs. VisualRIP+ SE

DigiDude

I'm new to digital printing and I'm putting together my first setup of a printer, cutter, and laminator. I am going to go with Caldera for my RIP, and Caldera VisualRIP+ appears to be the most logical option for a one-man startup shop like mine. However, on the rpimaging.com website I saw that there is also a VisualRIP+ SE version, and from the best I can tell it looks as though the only differences between the two are 1) the SE version includes only 1 x LFP license vs. 2 x LFP licenses on the non-SE edition of VisualRIP+, and 2) the non-SE version has the Printboard plugin included.

If anyone here could definitively confirm the differences between the two versions, I'd greatly appreciate it, as there's a $1000 difference in price between the two versions, and I don't want to spend more than I need to for a RIP.

dypinc

If I was you I would call (612) 216-5212 Caldera and ask them. I always found them real easy to contact about any question you might have.

dypinc

I have run the Demo on Linux. Seems to run well on basic systems. They were offering it on Mac Minis so I would guess it must not be much of a resource hog.

Download the Demo and get a 15 day Key and try it. In fact most other RIPs offer a demo as well.

WildWestDesigns

For anyone who has used Caldera, how resource intensive is it? Anyone running it on Linux?

If you are really concerned, get Debian (I think that's the distro of choice) running a lighter weight DE like XFCE and that will really help eeck out some extra mileage. Minimum on XFCE on my rigs is about 500 MB of RAM for a 64 bit install (put in perspective, Windows 64 bit minimum is 2 GB).