• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Calendered On A Box Truck?

Pretz27

I have a box truck wrap I need to complete in Naples FL. I was wondering everyones thoughts on using cal vinyl for this like 40C, 48C, or 2105. It is a Uhaul type moving truck with the large white plastic rivets (pic) that I am not going to wrap but relief cut around and leave them exposed. Do you think a premium calendered film will hold up to the south florida climate? Or should I go with cast?

Attachments

• box truck.jpg
    box truck.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 268

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Personally I would never use calendared vinyl on a vehicle- 'cause I just don't trust it- but I see the two that you mentioned are actually (per 3M) recommended for vehicle usage. Forced to choose between the two, I'd go with the 48C.

equippaint

Just depends on what their expectations are. Id use oracal 3551 with a decent lam, its removable up to 4 years. Its an old Uhaul, no reason to make a wrap with materials that will outlast the truck.

equippaint

I use 215, we use a lot of 3165 and it can be used on both. Its listed as an accepted lam for the 3551 but Im pretty sure you can use 290 on 3551 (not listed for 3165) also which is better. With no curves or rivets Id assume 215 would be fine.

boxerbay

Are you selling this job to a client or this is for your own personal use?

You have to size up your client. If he looks low end then quote something in his budget. If he looks high end then quote premium. always give options.
If I were selling I would quote the premium IJ180cv3/8518 combo price and advise client it is rated to last about 5-7 years. Then I would also quote a IJ35/GF231 combo and explain it not as good and is rated 1-3 years. This way you let the client decide knowing full well the life expectancy of each.

Vinyldog

I'm using O.3169GRA / O.215 for everything right now, including fleet graphics. I'm sure it wouldn't work on complex car-wraps, but I don't do those anyway.