• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can a dye sublimated display be cleaned?

gabagoo

Customer spilt coffee on their 4x3 hop up and wants to know if it can be dry cleaned or cleaned at all. The fabric I found out is a powerflex polyester with lycra.

I only suggested that they try using a damp cloth with a very mild detergent first and if that does not work, try and find an eco dry cleaners and be prepared to have to replace the entire unit.

Anybody know for sure before I send this email?

DerbyCitySignGuy

Customer spilt coffee on their 4x3 hop up and wants to know if it can be dry cleaned or cleaned at all. The fabric I found out is a powerflex polyester with lycra.

I only suggested that they try using a damp cloth with a very mild detergent first and if that does not work, try and find an eco dry cleaners and be prepared to have to replace the entire unit.

Anybody know for sure before I send this email?

Put it in the washing machine, don't put it in the dryer.

[Edit: To clarify, as long as the material itself is washable, you can wash dye sub printed fabrics. I'm like 99% sure polyester lycra blended fabrics can be machine washed, but you just don't want to put them in a dyer. I'd be less inclined to dry clean the display.]

[Edit 2: I googled it to make sure I wasn't giving you terrible advice, Hop Up displays can apparently be machine washed if necessary according to at least one site.]

Last edited:

fresh

you can wash dye sub materials... there are a lot of cut & sew clothes that are polyester with dyesub.

2B

yes, we have washed our table throws just to see what would happen and was good.

The washing instructions we give to customers state.

Fabric can be machine washed with cold water and gentle cycle. Do not use bleach or harsh detergents
Lay flat or hang to dry. Wrinkles or creases can be eliminated with a hand steamer.

Andy_warp

One thing to watch out for is if the fabric is direct printed or transferred via paper. The direct print fabric has an anti wicking coating so the ink doesn't spread. We have some direct print backlit that we can't clean. It will leave water spots.