• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can Head Soaks Create Problems? Is There A Downside?

player

Is there a down side to head soaking? I have not used my printer much lately and so I have lots of deflections. I have pinched off the captop lines and put Roland cleaner in the caps and then docked the heads and turned the printer off. I have been letting it soak for a day, then I clean it, and print a few tests and then let it soak again for another day. Is there anything that I can damage or have problems with doing this? It is a VP540i.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Doubt it but what other choice do you have?
I got cross contamination doing it once but thats easy enough to fix.

player

I figure the heads can take the cleaner, but I want to see if anyone knows something I don't. I would think the captops age quicker.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
You should be fine letting it soak as long as needed. Back in 2004, we had several extended power outages during back to back hurricanes here in south Florida. As a precaution, I advised the soak procedure for a customer who was concerned, as she used MegaInk, which was very quick to dry. We set it up before losing power. No power for 3 weeks. Once power was back, 2 cleanings and she was good to go and there was no degradation to the cap tops.