Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Can I Apply Laminated Cast Prints Wet?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by player, Jun 9, 2018.

1. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I have two 4' x 8' prints on Orafol 3951GRA (Air Egress vinyl) laminated with 290 being applied to ACM. Can I do this using water (with a drop of dish soap)?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Tags:
  2. Renato Pinto

Renato Pinto New Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Yes, you're just more prone to getting bubbles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    My answer is no. Since it has commandform, it would trap the liquid in and fail. Most printable vinyls you should only apply dry. Why would you want to wet apply it?
    4' X 8's are extremely easy to lay down if you do it the proper way. Also some people do the dish soap route, but I won't, I use Rapid Tac for any wet apply application. I trust a professional product made for vinyl adhesive over trying to mix something myself and getting it wrong.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. equippaint

equippaint Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    My experience is that the liquid gets trapped in air egress material. We use glass cleaner if we have to wet apply against all the do gooders recommendations and have never had any failures. It's easier and faster dry, just hinge it in the middle. Grab an extra person to hold the vinyl while you squeegee if you cant on your own. Can you run it through your laminator?

5. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Always dry if possible. When wet I use only RapidTac 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Central Coast California
    Did you buy the prints or produce them yourself?

If you have a laminator, then its the best way to mount with the least amount of effort and best results. Using liquid on material with air egress like others have said, defeats the whole purpose. If you are worried about stretching of the image running it through your laminator, use transfer tape over the whole thing and it won't stretch.

If we hand mount prints that large, we use two people, a hinge about a third of the way in on the side we start with and the whole process takes but a few minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I do have a laminator, and that is the way I would normally do it. I am just inquiring because I am concerned with the print stretching in the laminator. But I guess that's the way I will do it. Thanks.

8. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Central Coast California
    If you apply transfer tape over the prints, they won't stretch. I know its an extra step and a little more material, but transfer tape is cheap and it insures that you'll get a good result.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    Dry applying should not be hard... was trying to post a video of it but I cant figure it out

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  10. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Not recommended due to the chemicals in it, but make sure it does not have ammonia in it.

11. equippaint

equippaint Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Run it through like youre laminating a single piece. Start at the front, then youre removing just enough backing paper to keep it from sucking back under the roller as it pulls through rather than removing half of it at once. The backing paper will keep it from stretching.

12. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I will share a secret about laying down 4' X 8's with two people. Get a 4' ruler and attach it to the edge 1" in. Have the person hold the ruler, one hand at each end of it. This will keep it perfectly flat and it will go down like glass. The person holding the ruler should slowly lower the vinyl to the material as you squeegee it. The ruler is also great if you need to pull it back off the material for like creases or anything. Helps prevent stretching.

• Like Like x 2
  13. equippaint

equippaint Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  14. a77

a77 Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Canada
  15. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    Was I pissed? I don't usually walk around with a perma-smile.

I don't like the BS

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. a77

a77 Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Canada
    Didn't realize it was you. Nothing wrong with the video, but in my experience the big squeegee is much faster with same results.

17. equippaint

equippaint Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    At the beginning while you were murdering the plastic, you looked like some of my employees when I tell them to get off their phone.

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  18. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    Maybe I should of videoed the first one, That was my I think fifth panel so by that time I was mentally checked out.

19. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    3951 Commandform is NOT an air egress vinyl, Yes it can be applied wet.
    3951RA (Rapid Air) IS an airegress vinyl and should not be applied wet.

• Agree Agree x 2