• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Can I change from the White option to only color inks?

binki

Running a Roland Versacamm with the white ink option for the last 4 years. At the time we were printing a lot of clear decals but not any more.

I would like to change out and just run color only. Is this something I can do without changing the print head?

myhhsg

Running a Roland Versacamm with the white ink option for the last 4 years. At the time we were printing a lot of clear decals but not any more.

I would like to change out and just run color only. Is this something I can do without changing the print head?
We have a roland vsi 540 we purchase last year. We have it setup for dual cmyk. I ask the roland tech and told me that I can change from dual cmyk to white and metallic ink but I would have to flush the lines and the heads. But recommend that a roland tech do it. That's probably because the want the money. Lol

Signs 'n' Stuff

Hi Binki
We bought our VS640 5 years ago. double white and 6 colour. When the change to ecosol max2 happened it stuffed the white. We have just let the white run out then open up the cartridge and put in a piece of cardboard next to the ink bladder. that means that the ink level tabs on the side of the cartridge don't tell the machine it is out of ink. I checked with our service tech he said the rest of the print heads will not be affected by white not being used. Machine still thinks it is doing ink circulation and it will ask for those 2 cartridges to be shaken in their turn, but it still operates as a 6 colour machine.

Great shame as the white results were very nice on ecosol max 1.
3Best Regards from Australia
Brett

binki

Yes, We had good results with the white but our market for it has dried up. I was thinking about switching to 8 color, no white, the reason for my question. Thanks for the tip on fooling the machine. I have cleaning carts in there now to flush the lines and head.

Our biggest problem is the greys come out greenish. We have never been able to get a good grey to print, another reason why we want to go to the full color option.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Just insert MAX2 cleaning cartridges (ESL4-CL) and it will work fine. We did it about 18 months ago and it still works fine.
Got rid of both metallic and white. The cap tops never need cleaning now. Works great.

Hey binki,

SignMeUpGraphics has provided a good suggestion that will safely protect the head nozzles, and that is to insert cleaning cartridges in place of the ink cartridges (no special flushing/washing required). Since you're not going to be using white any longer, it's fine to do this. However, if you ever decide to add white ink back to the lines, you may encounter some problems (because the white and cleaning liquid will mix). To successfully ink up the lines with white in the future, just contact your regional Roland dealer for that conversation.

As for grays printing with a green cast, no worries, we have to covered. So long as the printer is functioning 100%, the following info will apply.

Please change the VersaWorks Color Management setting to help with this issue. To access that option, launch VersaWorks, click on “Edit > Queue A Settings”. In the window that appears, click on the “Quality” button, and look at the Color Management drop down list of options. Click on “Density Control Only” and finally, click the “OK” button to save the change. Print the job again.

Also, be sure the artwork is saved as an RGB color images, not CMYK. If saved as CMYK, the greys/white (absence of color) will not print correctly.

There could be other variables if the problem continues, but to continue that conversation with Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland.

If you do write us, we look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

creationspvl

Hi Binki
We bought our VS640 5 years ago. double white and 6 colour. When the change to ecosol max2 happened it stuffed the white. We have just let the white run out then open up the cartridge and put in a piece of cardboard next to the ink bladder. that means that the ink level tabs on the side of the cartridge don't tell the machine it is out of ink. I checked with our service tech he said the rest of the print heads will not be affected by white not being used. Machine still thinks it is doing ink circulation and it will ask for those 2 cartridges to be shaken in their turn, but it still operates as a 6 colour machine.

Great shame as the white results were very nice on ecosol max 1.
3Best Regards from Australia
Brett

Hello I have a Roland VS-540, last August I change the Ecosol-max white regular, for the Ecosol-Max2 white.

I up-grade the firmware: it is now 5.10 and My versawork is: 5.5.1.

Since that day, I begone to improved bad printing for the grey scale image. I have some parts that print pink instead of grey. All the nozzle are good. Except for the last week the white do not print, and when I check the remaining ink on versawork, on the white one it shows ( ! ) mark. Note the 2 cartriges are half full. It seems that the nozzel for the white are blocked.

On the VS-540 the cartriges show nothing. My VS-540 is set-up with CMYKLcLmWhWh. since the beginning in 2012.

The cap top was change in August just before changing the white.

It seam that the printer do not see the white ink, and what is remaining.

Can someone have in clue? I replace the white cartridges by cleaning cartridges to protect the head nozzles.

Also I think my grey printing pink is since I upgrade the firmware.

Is there anyone know how to go back with the initial Firmware I had before? My firmware was 4.20

wesker

Hey binki,

SignMeUpGraphics has provided a good suggestion that will safely protect the head nozzles, and that is to insert cleaning cartridges in place of the ink cartridges (no special flushing/washing required). Since you're not going to be using white any longer, it's fine to do this. However, if you ever decide to add white ink back to the lines, you may encounter some problems (because the white and cleaning liquid will mix). To successfully ink up the lines with white in the future, just contact your regional Roland dealer for that conversation.

As for grays printing with a green cast, no worries, we have to covered. So long as the printer is functioning 100%, the following info will apply.

Please change the VersaWorks Color Management setting to help with this issue. To access that option, launch VersaWorks, click on “Edit > Queue A Settings”. In the window that appears, click on the “Quality” button, and look at the Color Management drop down list of options. Click on “Density Control Only” and finally, click the “OK” button to save the change. Print the job again.

Also, be sure the artwork is saved as an RGB color images, not CMYK. If saved as CMYK, the greys/white (absence of color) will not print correctly.

There could be other variables if the problem continues, but to continue that conversation with Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland.

If you do write us, we look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

Hello,

I dig up this post but my question is similar. I have a Vg-540 with a white cartridge. I never intend to use the white cartridge for my business again. Can I also place a cleaning cartridge instead, or will the machine detect the opacity that the ink is clear and not white and therefore give me an error?

Thank you

netsol

IF IT WERE ME, my top priority would be in preserving that printhead.
i would want to keep the option of putting ink through those channels again.
(large client wants repetitive order with metallic or printed white)
would it make sense to purchase a set of bulk ink cartridges on ebay? only use the two, but fill with flush fluid. i would either do enough power cleanings to be sure the lines were clear or use a syringe to pull fluid through.

this way those cartridges can be tapped off after cleanings,