• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

can I create a permanent & easily available swatch and symbol?

Splattgraphics

Two things are lost to me since switching up from Illustrator CS3: 1: my CutContour swatch for cutlines which was in its own swatchbook in the list, and 2: my regmark symbol which was right there waiting in the symbol list whenever I created a new file and wanted it. With CS6, suddenly I don't know how to put them in their respective window so they're right at hand. My compromise so far is making and naming a fresh cutcontour swatch for every job I need one in, (sigh) and for the regmarks, I made a file with 'em that sits in templates. I have to open that, and work from that or copy/paste them rather than drag it in at will, right from the symbol list. Seems like it needn't be that much of a reach for either thing, am I correct?

WildWestDesigns

You should be able to move the original files from within the respective folder of CS 3 into the new swatches/symbol folder of CS6.

Splattgraphics

You should be able to move the original files from within the respective folder of CS 3 into the new swatches/symbol folder of CS6.
Yes, but what I mean is, I cannot seem to get them to remain in the respective folder when I open a new file. I think the save process is different or something...I want them to be there when I open any new file and start working, instead of having to go get or recreate them. While I'm at it, can't I specify a specific swatch book to be the default swatch list upon opening a new work file? (Specifically, spot colors?)

WildWestDesigns

Yes, but what I mean is, I cannot seem to get them to remain in the respective folder when I open a new file.

Doing it the above way correctly, your swatches and symbols should be there every time that you open up a new file.

Just go to the relevant panel and navigate to where the symbol and/or swatch is (depending on if you have to go through 1 or more file folders) and it should pop up.

While I'm at it, can't I specify a specific swatch book to be the default swatch list upon opening a new work file? (Specifically, spot colors?)

There may be a better way, but what I do is when I have the swatch that I want and it's in a free floating window, I go to the options for that window and make sure "persistent" is checked and it will be an active floating window when I start it up from then on.

I would also suggest that when you have your workspace setup the way you like it (if you customize it, which I do, or at least as much as Adobe allowed in CS6), I would create a custom profile for that setup. That way if something gets closed out or wonky, it's just reset and it all comes back up.

SlikGRFX

Like WildWest said, set up your workspace then save it. You need to make sure you drop your old swatches into the correct folder in windows/finder or they won't appear in the swatches menu dropdown. If that doesn't work you might have to create your swatches from scratch. I'm not 100% sure that the old swatches are compatible with CS6, I know that swatches created in CS6 aren't compatible with earlier versions of Illustrator.

If you create a named spot colour swatch it should remain in the Libraries panel even if you close and reopen Illustrator. That could be a workaround until you have time to troubleshoot or create new swatches.

WildWestDesigns

I'm not 100% sure that the old swatches are compatible with CS6, I know that swatches created in CS6 aren't compatible with earlier versions of Illustrator.

I've got a sublimation swatch that I've had since CS4 that have work in CS5 and CS6.

Like with symbols and brushes (I have a lot of these that I created many moons ago that work in CS6), you can go from old to new, but can't go new to old. As far as the base program is concerned.

shoresigns

There are at least two ways to make a swatch that's easy to access from any new document in Illustrator.

1. Open the Libraries panel and drop the spot colour in there. It will always be there in the Libraries panel no matter what document you open.
2. Add your spot colour to your favourite New Document Profile. There are several sets of New Document Profiles, listed under Profile in the New Document window. Open the Profile dropdown and select Browse to see where they are saved, then open one up and save whatever swatches, symbols, brushes, etc. you want to have whenever you create a new document. Unlike the Libraries panel, this won't work on existing documents.