• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I do this?

reelguitars

I have a neon "Open" sign that is intended for indoor use. I don't have a window to put it in since I work out of my double garage. Do you think I could build something like a shadow box, seal it well, and put lexan on the front and use it that way? The sign looks nice and I'd like to be able to use it. Thoughts or ideas please. Thanks, David

John Butto

Yea, the red neon on the outside of your garage would be a nice touch. Wish more of my neighbors thought like you.

ThinkRight

I have a neon "Open" sign that is intended for indoor use. I don't have a window to put it in since I work out of my double garage. Do you think I could build something like a shadow box, seal it well, and put lexan on the front and use it that way? The sign looks nice and I'd like to be able to use it. Thoughts or ideas please. Thanks, David

The transformer will get HOT !
If you box it in it will shorten the life and maybe even start a fire.
Careful when changing the design / use of electrical stuff.
The UL regs are done for a reason.
Cut a window into your garage door and hang it if you must.
Cut a bunch of windows and enjoy the sunlight in your shop.

Tony McD

We used to do it with beer neons with the metal transformers. In a box under an eve kept them out of the elements better. These get hot, so we would put some vent holes in the box.
Not sure a newer electronic transformer would last very long outdoors...any moisture at all, bzzzzt