• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I do this?

Waylon

I live in a very small town and have been doing vinyl signs/graphics for several years. While I would love to get a large format printer/cutter, there is no way I could ever make the money back. What I've been thinking of doing is the following.
I have an HP K8600 printer which is dye based ink and can print up to 13" wide. (I know what you're thinking, but bare(or is it bear?) with me). I would like to be able to offer smaller printed graphics, mostly for indoors, but possibly for outdoors. If I used an aqueous adhesive backed vinyl and laminated it, how long can i expect it to last outdoor? A year? Two maybe?
If I used a liquid laminate, do I need to worry about transfer paper pulling it off the media?

I know it doesn't compare with a solvent printer, but I'm just looking to get more work by offering more services. I will be upfront with potential customers that it won't last 3 years in direct sunlight all day long.

I'm hoping someday to get a used printer/cutter, but that won't happen anytime soon.

Tony McD

Die inks will fade quickly outdoors whatever you do.
You need at least pigmented ink to last any length of time outside.

If it's in the sun your die inks probalby won't last a month.

Letterbox Mike

You and your business will go much farther if you outsource your printing to someone with the right equipment. You may technically be able to make your desktop printer work for some limited outdoor products, but you'll be doing your customers a big disservice in the long run. What will you do if someone comes in and wants a print that's bigger than 13"x19" What if they want a 4'x8' print? Are you going to tile it in 50 pieces? What about banners?

FatCat

Waylon, there is nothing stopping you from offering these services right now. All you need to do is team up with one of the Merchant Members here and you can buy solvent printed goods at wholesale prices directly from them and re-sell at a tidy profit. This way, you only have money going out when you need it, your customers get a good outdoor worthy product, AND in time you might be able to justify purchasing your own machine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The big machines sometimes barely get three years. You'll be lucky to get 6 months, if that.

Don't offer something you really don't have to offer just for the sake of doing something you can't supply. You'll only regret it if someone finds out what you're really doing.

If you want to expand your services.... do it with products you can stand behind 100%.

JR's

Waylon, there is nothing stopping you from offering these services right now. All you need to do is team up with one of the Merchant Members here and you can buy solvent printed goods at wholesale prices directly from them and re-sell at a tidy profit. This way, you only have money going out when you need it, your customers get a good outdoor worthy product, AND in time you might be able to justify purchasing your own machine.

:thumb: :thumb:

JR

Waylon

Ok, so no to anything outdoors. Anything bigger I won't attempt.

I've thought about outsourcing, but it's not as simple for me. I'm not in the US. Shipping will be expensive. One sign shop in a nearby town, based on a couple prices I got from them in the past, won't be offering a discounted price.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a merchant member who will give me wholesale prices without giving them a large volume of business? Also, someone who will do a single say, 12"x12" print job on vinyl if needed.

Here is what I would be looking for:
contour cut vinyl graphics
printed banners
possibly large printed boat graphics

CanuckSigns

try calling around to different sign shops aroundand see if anyone is willing to sell at a wholesale rate to you, prehaps you could offer something to another shop that they don't offer, could be a good deal for both of you.

COuld you not order from someone in Florida? I'm pretty sure that prints fall under NAFTA so you won't pay duty.

Waylon

Actually, I could probably order from anyone who will ship to Florida. I'll have to check on the duty thing, but I really doubt it's duty free. It would be better if it were a business in Florida, but anywhere should be ok.

The reason I haven't really looked into this before is I assumed that with the added cost of shipping and duties, no one would offer me prices low enough to make it work without large quantity orders. If there is someone out there who will, I would be happy to do business with them.

Letterbox Mike

I don't know for sure what the duties are to the Bahamas, it's not terrible to Canada unless the job is huge or extremely expensive so I can't imagine it's any different. We have minimum order sizes but they're not huge and often if your timing is right or you can wait we can try to gang small orders with other small orders from other customers to save everybody a few bucks. But please feel free to contact me the next time you need something, I'd like to see if we can help you out and be competitive. Maybe we can, maybe we can't but we'll sure try.

OldPaint

i have an HP K850, 13x19, 11x17, 8.5 x 11. i also have an ENCAD 736, inkjet 36". i buy the inkjet receptive vinyl for the ENCAD, what i dont print on, i save and cut in the 3 sizes that will go thru my HP. and NO......it wont last more then 6 months outdoors on the HP, with HP INKS. i just purchased the CIS INK external tank system for it, and i wll let you know how there ink compares. the CIS carts & external tanks cost me $50. each cart(4 of em)in HP INK........cost me $38.00 EACH!!!!!! the CIS INK, bulk ink to go into these, i can buy 4-4.2 oz bottles, 1 of each color, for $21.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we shall see how this works. if not i can alway go back to the $38 carts))))))))
as for stuff you print on the inkjet receptive vinyl, it will need some protection as a laminate.

T-Square_WPB

Actually, I could probably order from anyone who will ship to Florida. I'll have to check on the duty thing, but I really doubt it's duty free. It would be better if it were a business in Florida, but anywhere should be ok.

The reason I haven't really looked into this before is I assumed that with the added cost of shipping and duties, no one would offer me prices low enough to make it work without large quantity orders. If there is someone out there who will, I would be happy to do business with them.

Waylon -
Sent you PM.

Last edited: