• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I laminate Stainless Steel to PVC?

fresh

I have a job where the client loves the look of Polished Stainless steel, but the price for fully fabricated letters is too high for him :(

Can I cut the design out of both rigid gloss PVC and Polished stainless steel, and them glue them together for added dimension? Do you think it will delaminate due to differences in expansion of materials? This is for an outdoor sign.

Thanks!

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I think you'd be fine as long as you used VHB tape. The tape allows for the different expansion rates.

synergy_jim

there are companies out there that make a polished ACM already. Do some research. VHB should do the trick if you have to go that route.

fresh

there are companies out there that make a polished ACM already. Do some research. VHB should do the trick if you have to go that route.

I called one company who sells mirror polished ACM, and they said its mostly an indoor product... Outdoors it only has a 3 year warranty. Have you used it outdoors for longer than that with good results?

synergy_jim

I called one company who sells mirror polished ACM, and they said its mostly an indoor product... Outdoors it only has a 3 year warranty. Have you used it outdoors for longer than that with good results?

you may also want to try Gemini. they have exactly what you need with lifetime warranty

fresh

you may also want to try Gemini. they have exactly what you need with lifetime warranty

I'm trying to keep the costs down. Also, their Gem Leaf product is only warrantied for interior applications. AND they take 4 days to get a quote back to me AND their turn around is very slow lately.

Marlene

on a side note, we did the high polished shiny silver letters for a car dealership a few years back. the biggest problem with them was they are like a mirror and reflect the sky, trees or whatever is around them making them super hard to read and see. it looks more like sky/tree pattern then shiny silver. just throwing that out there as the dealership ended up replacing them as you couldn't read their name very well

PushProductions

We do this all the time and have never had a problem. We use a double sided laminate and laminate the pieces together first. Mask off the aluminum and route the letters out. Then we paint the edges on the pvc with a metalic silver so it looks like on big thick piece of aluminum but its much cheaper!

fresh

We do this all the time and have never had a problem. We use a double sided laminate and laminate the pieces together first. Mask off the aluminum and route the letters out. Then we paint the edges on the pvc with a metalic silver so it looks like on big thick piece of aluminum but its much cheaper!

Thanks!