• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I print on inkjet vinyl with my photo printer?

RebeckaR

I am madly in love with my Epson 13 x 19 desktop photo printer. I got it just a few months ago and I'm having a ball designing and printing stuff.

It came with pigment based inks, but I have purchased a bulk ink system that is dye based so I can use either type of ink.

Does anyone know if I can successfully use some kind of inkjet vinyl in this type of printer?

The stuff I would like to print would be for interior use (which is kind of a "duh") and doesn't necessarily need to last a long time.

If I purchased a roll, I would obviously need to cut it into sheets, which is a pain but not a big deal. (I have found printable vinyl in sheets on papilio.com, but they are expensive compared to some of the rolls of material that I have priced.)

I mostly want to know if anyone knows of something that will work.

OldPaint

i have an ENCAD 736. so i buy 36" x 60 yd rolls of inkjet receptive vinyl to print on. lot of times i dont use a full 36" wide piece, so i save the remnant and i have cut it down to 13 x19, 11 x 17, 8.5 x 11, which i run thru my HP K850, with CISS continuous ink system. it wont last long out doors but if you spray it a few coats with KRYLON clear, it can go 6 months or so outdoors.
fellers sells JEXAR, their name for inkjet receptive vinyl.

Tony McD

You should be able to print on any aqueous material.
You can probably find coated vinyl in 24" wide rolls.
You can print using either ink set, but the pigmented ink will last a bit longer outside.
For the longest life outdoors, pigmented ink, encapsulate the print under laminate with a 1/4" extra to seal the print.

My only experience with epson is that they like to print on epson materials.
Check with them for vinyl stock, etc...

You may have to play with print settings if you use other brands, but should work fine.

Tony McD

Some of those epsons have holders for rolled material...does that one?
You could get a 24" roll, and have them cut it into a 13" roll and an 11"
Fix a little holder near the feed, and let it roll feed.
Put a little slicer on the back...and you're all set.

RebeckaR

Thanks guys!
I can run longer material through the printer - which never occurred to me until you suggested that.
The Krylon is also a good tip.

Funny, Old Paint mentioned that Fellers has the material and that's what got me thinking about printing on vinyl.
My Fellers catalog got here this morning and I was browsing through, counting the Franks to see if Pat was correct in his Frank ratio, and then I got distracted by the possibility of printing on sticky things.

Woo Hoo! Can't wait to give it a try.

RebeckaR

I've used Papilio's inkjet vinyl and the print results are bright and crisp.
I use their adhesive photo film all the time. Their website is like a toy store for paper junkies.

I may order the 30' roll of printable vinyl just to see what kind of fun I can have with it. It's a matte surface, so I'm inclined to think it's pretty similar to the Jexar product. The Jexar stuff would be cheaper if I can get my supplier to get me some.

Sideshow

careful with the krylon though. I have found a few pigment based inks that dont respond well to the clear ( it would yellowed the clear ,caused ink to flake off, or did a nasty orange peel )

Test first.