• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

can I varnish over vinyl lettering and which vinyl would be best?

WallSpice

Newbie here. Just posted my introduction in the welcome forum.

My question is: can I varnish over vinyl lettering and which vinyl would be best?

I have a client that wants to put a cut vinyl logo on the bottom of a few skateboards and varnish over them. He knows they'll eventually get trashed as the kids grind etc. But wants to help it last a bit longer by varnishing. Will the vinyl handle that? My fear is it will bubble or shrink, even melt?

I tried to steer him towards cutting a vinyl mask and painting the logos. He is in too big of a hurry.

Big EZ Signs LLC

My advice - don't. I used Spar Urethane on vinyl many moons ago. What it did is unmentionable. ( Ok, it looks like crap now. The vinyl is all cracked and shrunk )

Gino

Premium Subscriber
On a sign.....No. For this application.... what's it matter ??

Varnish will hold up, but the vinyl will continue to shrink causing a very ugly mess in no time. Clear it with some 'FrogJuice' and make the guy happy..... and charge extra for it.

chopper

I have used automotive clear over vinyl but not varnish,....
used spars over gold leaf but that is it, maybe you need to describe your project more to get better results //chopper

mekazilla

it won't matter what you spray on it, as soon as the vinyl slides on concrete or a rail it's going to tear. It's definitely not worth the extra time for spraying and drying if he's in a rush.

WallSpice

Thanks for all the replies. I cut the vinyl, told him I couldn't recommend varnishing. I think he found someone to get auto film from. Moved on - figured I had better things to think about.

cOrKinSA

I love it when a "noob" ask a question, gets an answer and, in the end post his ending results.
So refreshing!

Dave Drane

I'm sure a 2 pak (clear + hardener) would work.
I have done it before and it looked OK when it left the workshop, kinda like a motorbike tank.

Bill Modzel

We reverse print on clear .008" lexan which is than laminated to a white backing sheet for trade show graphics. I'd think that this would be a very durable way to handle skateboards.

Flame

Been there done that. Triple lam the print or if it's cut vinyl then auto clear. The vinyl will shrink eventually, but look good for a while.