• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I write Mimaki/ RasterLink5 profiles without their ProfileMasterII software?

I have been doing my own linearizing and profiling on Roland/Versaworks using an i1Pro and i1Profiler for a year now, so I have some handle on the process. But we have added a Mimaki JV33-130 with 2xCMYK ES3 ink and RasterLinkPro5SG and I'm back to square one. I can't even see how to linearize it without manually entering each data point.

The salesman (I know, "There's your problem...") told us that if I have been writing my own Roland profiles, well this one will be no problem. It seems to me that we either need to buy ProfileMasterII (which I haven't found a price on yet but I bet it's not cheap), buy a new RIP that plays better with i1Profiler, or keep trying to figure out my own manual linearizing/profiling workflow (I'm not sure I know the RIP well enough to avoid pitfalls here). Or get a good tech in here to properly set the thing up from the start.

I do have our main vinyl supplier working me up some profiles so that will help in the meantime.

Does anyone out there have a good solution? Or recommendations from experience on which way to go?

Thanks for looking.

I am pretty certain that the Mimaki bundled RIP (Rasterlink) makes media profile generation an optional module (read costs extra).

Andy_warp

We're running a JV4 with Onyx.
The profiling is great on it.

I'd avoid the sales guy just working you up a profile...but that's just me.

We run aqueous dye-sub ink, so not sure how it is in a direct to vinyl scenario.
I've run Onyx off and on for the last ten years, it has some really great workflow options.