• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can Printed Vinyl go “bad” after X time (weeks/months)

Ptzulu

Hi there!
So, we mostly print with ecoSolvent, so, I ask about that. We printed on Polymeric vinyl only (currently APA vinyl), but also used Oracal Avery and Hexis on the past..
My question is: if I print and laminate something, can the vinyl loose some characteristic before applying? Like it was printed and laminated and stood rolled for about 1week, or 1 month, or 3 months, before applying. Does the ink affect the adhesive or something.....?

thanks I advance :)

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Unprinted vinyl has a shelf life. Probably shorter than you think too. Usually only a couple hears or so. Will also depend on how it was stored.

Printed vinyl probably falls under the same theory, will depend pretty heavily on storage conditions.

What I can say is we printed a bunch of stuff pre-covid and the installs got postponed almost 6 months and still went ok.

Ptzulu

Actually, just noticed I have too a “pile” of pre COVID printed vinyl.. like things that we printed daily and all of sudden didn’t go away ahah
But was actually asking because of some vinyl for Sandwich panel, that was not sticking as good as on the first test run :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrxs

Yeah of course it depends also how you storaged it! It can react to uv-radiation and to moist air.
I have made the experience that it is best to apply protective laminate immediately after the paint has cured (note the information provided by the manufacturer!).

Kind regards

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think many here are looking for excuses of their own makimg. There isn't really anything in such minute detail that can go wrong. We make decals for many of the police municipalities in our area and they have them on the shelf for 2 or 3 years and they go down just fine. We have 1,000's of stripes and various size circles and some are 10 years old. They adhere well and don't come off. Just used a bunch yesterday.

Use good materials, don't cut any corners and these things should last for a long time.

If your stuff isnt workimg, throw it out and start over. Then, look into buying better materials.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I have vinyl much older than 10 years and it still works fine. I have lotsa SparCal...... anyone here remember that one ?? That was the greatest vinyl ever. Don't know what happened to them.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Technically it can go bad but as others said, if properly stored indoors usually there is no problem. Just do not plan on long term storage of anything with app tape on it. App taped stuff will be okay for quite some time as well but storage conditions can drastically affect paper app tapes and on app tapes the app tape adhesive can in some respects become nearly permanent....

rjssigns

Wrap that was printed late 2019 just got installed. Installer said it went on with no issues just like all the others. It was stored in climate controlled space on a roll and covered with plastic. YMMV

Ptzulu

Thanks for the responses.
The guy who applied the vinyl was outsourced (different city from ours) and was complaining.
After several calls, and a trip, we discovered it wasn’t vinyl fault, but poor audacity cleaning (I didn’t even ask that, since, it’s vinyl 101, or, even before 101 - clean something before applying/glueing something else..)

Oh well… is good to know mom the less :D

How about transfer paper/pp ? Do you apply just before job (hours earlier/minutes) or day/days before? Like on Friday to apply Monday…?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk