• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can Someone Pleas Explain The Banner Scam?

michsanford

Could someone please explain how the banner scam works? We received an odd request, and he has paid, but still unsure.

bannertime

Typically it'll be a request to use their own shipping company. You pay the shipping company, you never end up getting paid, and you're out money, labor, and material.

henryz

Yup, they pay for banners with stolen credit card, you then ship the banners using Western Union or something similar, but you pay that upfront with your own $$$ they take the lute and gone. You don't even get to ship the banners... This happened to a colleague. It's always the same people, the email address are a given using @gmail.com. I have reported a few to the FBI with the telephone numbers always out of Virginia?

michsanford

Our situation is the following:

We are in NC, he's in CA

Wants them shipped to Puerto Rico using a specific carrier

He has paid for banner AND shipping already. That's the part that confuses me because that's where the scam normally comes in

pp_ceo

We are in NC, he's in CA

He has paid for banner AND shipping already. That's the part that confuses me because that's where the scam normally comes in
The credit card they used is stolen so you will be charged back later date.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.

We are in NC, he's in CA

Did they pay you for the shipping? And then you're supposed to pay the shipping co. when they "pick up" the banners? That's the scam...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Still running that scam? I was introduced to it back 13 years ago! They called using some kind of hearing impaired system and wanted to order 100 banners for some church in Africa

SignosaurusRex

There are a number of twists to this scam. Bakeries, Caterers, Custom Apparel, Trophy and other services have encountered various versions of this scam. Usually small "Mom & Pop" companies that get excited over such large pre-paid orders get hit the hardest. In some cases (depending on the actual version of scam) the perps obtain critical information which is used even further in their scams. In many cases the perp will ask what credit card(s) you take or prefer. They usually want to break up the purchase between multiple cards (in order to reduce the "red flag" of overly large purchases or credit limits). Businesses and lives have been destroyed. CYA!

Last edited:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The credit card they used is stolen so you will be charged back later date.

How does this benefit the guy with the stolen card? The credit back on the card balances the debit so all that's gained, at best, is someone gets some free merchandise.

bannertime

How does this benefit the guy with the stolen card? The credit back on the card balances the debit so all that's gained, at best, is someone gets some free merchandise.

You pay an illegitimate shipping company real money from your own pockets. THINKING that you've already been paid in full for product and shipping. Shipping company never picks up the product, and the merchant takes the stolen money back.

shoresigns

Here's an example of one of these scams. This one came in yesterday to our general inquiries email.

The obvious tip-offs in this one are telling us the method of payment, and saying "god bless" at the end of the email. This one's interesting in that they're not requiring a specific shipping company.

To whom it may concern –
I will like you to get me a quote on Flyer printing with the following specs.

A. Quantity : 60,000 Copies .
B. 90# Gloss Text.
C. 0.25 - White boarder.
D. Full Colour.
E. One sided.
F. measures 8.5' x 11'.
G. I want it to be flat.
H. Lead Time for printing : Express ( 5-7 Working Days ) .
I. Method of payment : Credit Card Payment.
j. Quotation must not include shipping because it will be picked-up from your location .

I will be providing a the file for printing in PDF format as soon as i get the quotation.

GOD BLESS YOU.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Here's an example of one of these scams. This one came in yesterday to our general inquiries email.

The obvious tip-offs in this one are telling us the method of payment, and saying "god bless" at the end of the email. This one's interesting in that they're not requiring a specific shipping company.

yeah, they don't mention the shipping company in the first few contacts. but that will come later -- "Oh, by the way, we'll pay you more than the invoice and you can pay the shipping co. cash"

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You pay an illegitimate shipping company real money from your own pockets. THINKING that you've already been paid in full for product and shipping. Shipping company never picks up the product, and the merchant takes the stolen money back.

The OP stated that both the product AND the shipping were paid for. That being the case why would you pay for the shipping if it's already paid?

The point in all scams of this sort, ordering products, winning some sort of lottery or contest, or whatever, is to get you to to dip into your own pouch and shell out for something. Be it a 'fee' you pay up front in order to collect vast lottery winnings or an inheritance, remitting an over payment from a bogus check, something. In the scenario described by the OP none of these or their infinite variations seem to apply. Merely paying with a fraudulent credit card, if the scam works, gains the operator nothing more than some free product.

Where's the payoff to the scammer here?