• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can this head be cleared?

Andy D

What model Roland do you have? Is the black a seperate head?
I ask because that doesn't look like a typical nozzle check with deflected heads.
When the rows of lines are left and right vertically, or crowding each other horizontaly, in my experience that's a voltage issue or
could be loose wiring.

Last edited:

Matt Gatenby

What model Roland do you have? Is the black a seperate head?
I ask because that doesn't look like a typical deflection head test.
When the rows of lines are left and right vertically, in my experience that's a voltage issue or
could be a loose wiring.

I've got exactly the same test print results as Farmboy. My printer is an SP-540V so has shared heads i.e. 2 heads for the 4 colour channels

Any guidance would be an awesome help

Andy D

I have done a lot of tech work on several different types of printers... but I'm not a tech, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt...
But in the interest of keeping this post bumped up until one of the real techs, who generously share their knowledge, shows up....
What I would do is switch out the data and power cables, to see if the problem switches too.
If that didn't work, I would pull ink through the capping station.
If that didn't work, I would soak the heads over the weekend in solvent & then pull the ink again.
If that didn't work, I would clean the black nozzles with alcohol.

rjssigns

If it's an SP540V the K channel of the CK head gets hammered since it's the first in line for head strikes.

Only thing I can think of is doing another head soak then try pulling ink through the cap top. Maybe try Artbots secret recipe cleaner?

If that doesn't show any improvement its time for a new head.

Andy D

If it's an SP540V the K channel of the CK head gets hammered since it's the first in line for head strikes.
But that doesn't explain their nozzle test, with the lines there, but out of alignment, all over the place horizontaly and verticaly, right?
As I said earlier, I'm no expert on their printer, but the only time I have had that happen, it's been an electronic issue.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Cleaning a head will damage a board? I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's a new one on me.
I would be interested in hearing what Solventinkjet suggests, I have no idea on how to tag him, so
I'm posting a quote from another thread.

The only way to fry the board on the head when cleaning is if you get cleaning solution on it and then don't let it dry before powering up. Usually if I get solution on a board I clean it with 90% alcohol and then let dry just to be sure. You can also damage the head physically when trying to flush it if you push too hard. It breaks the membrane between the channels and then the head is toast. I usually push hard enough to see solution bubble out, then a little harder so that it sprays out and then never harder. Usually by the time you're flushing, it's a last resort anyway. I also agree with rjssigns. The black tends to get more beat up on these machines when it comes to head strikes etc. In that case the nozzles are just literally deformed and unrecoverable.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
So looking at their nozzle test, you don't think it could be an electronic issue?

Usually when you can see the nozzles messed up like that it's physical. With electronic failure it usually either prints 100% no matter what is printing, it doesn't print at all or the nozzle check will look perfect but still print fuzzy edges. That being said, I have seen a few heads fail electronically where the nozzles just looked messed up so it is a possibility. Just more rare.

Farmboy

Thank you for all the replies! Looks like I'll be getting a new head. I'll probably try some of the other suggestions before I change it out since it's a lost cause. Again...Thank you :)

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I have been doing tech work on Rolands since 2004 and am not surprised by what I see here. The older Roland printers using DX4 heads have a tendency for the black head/channel to go before the other colors. What is shown here is typical. The black ink uses carbon black as a pigment, which is rougher on the heads than the other pigments. This is definitely not an electronic issue.The only solution is replacing the head.
Be very careful when swapping ribbons on printheads. This can lead to electronic issues if not done correctly. It should only be done under the guidance of an experienced technician.