Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we adjust the search functionality. Looking for CNC Coroplast speeds

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by JBurton, Dec 10, 2019.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    This post has two functions. First to ask about what folks are routing their coroplast with, as far as feed rate, rpm speed, tool diameter and flute style. I have some custom shapes to cut out, and I am always manually cleaning up the edges where the plastic chips hang on by a thread.
    60 ipm
    18,000 rpm
    1/8" belin upcut, single flute

The second function is to ask why the forum search results omit stuff like 'cnc' and 'rpm' (They are too short or too common, according to the website), but while creating a post, CNC can be used to search for similar threads. Can we get a shout out to the mods about this?

Tags:
  2. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    We tried all kinds of options to cut 4mm coro on our 4x8 CNC table and never found a bit that worked perfectly, no matter what speed or rpm was used. There was always clean up needed after they were cut. The best solution we came up with was to use a Donek Drag knife tool in the chuck, that would be find for cutting circles or simple shapes, but not ideal for complex shapes with sharp angles or a lot of details.

https://donektools.com/

This was one of the main reasons we invested in a Summa F-1612 to do this kind of work. If you're doing a lot of this stuff you really need to be looking at a digital cutting table (Zund, Esko, Summa, Colex, etc..) instead of a router.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    i gave up on this site's search function a long time ago..... i use google. "signs101 cnc coroplast feeds and speeds"

• Agree Agree x 3
    • I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I debated doing that!

5. MikePro

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    my coroplast cuts never come out pristine, but i treat it just like aluminum composite in the sense that I take it down in layers.
    since coroplast is basically 2 thin sheets of plastic, with corrugated plastic filler, then I route it in 3 passes.

example, 4mm coroplast (~.15") has two layers of 0.11" plastic top/bottom, the rest is in the corrugation. first pass @ .011", second pass at .138", and the final pass at ~.15". you'll still get a few bits of shredded corrugated core, easily trimmed with a scissors/nailclipper or scuffed-away with a scotchbrite pad, but the lines should be clean on your face/back.
    my default feeds/speeds @ 2.5in/sec, 18000rpm single flute upcut.

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Thanks, I didn't see this post initially for some reason. The concept is just a spiral to look like a tree when supported from the center. So a drag knife setup would work very well, I've never seen one that would do coro, we just have one for vinyl.
    Holy cow, if I had you're speeds, I wouldn't mind cutting 3 passes, but I'm rocking an ancient 8x12 multicam retrofit, so we are limited to 90 cutting and 150 rapid. So maybe 1.5in/sec or better. And since the face stock is only a small part of the 'display', I don't think I'd benefit as much from multiple passes. This is a good tip though, I'll tuck it away in the old steel sieve.

7. MikePro

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    1in/s is just fine too. I only cut fast on soft materials like this and HDU.

8. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    Someone on here years ago had recommended some info on this and we've been using it for cutting or scoring coro since. We're usually running 250-400 inches with a new 1/4" tool. You'll still have some fuzzies to deal with but it works quite well. We've migrated a lot of this cutting over to our laser now which has it's own learning curve, but it's been useful as well.

9. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    Typestries was the user. You could probably search that username for their details if you wanted. It was a big help on our end.