• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Can Window Perf used for for a windshield banner?

phototec

Can Window Perf be used for a windshield banner?

Like a 6" tall strip across the top of a windshield?

I made one for a customer and she says it blew off as she was driving 70 MPH.

phototec

It looks like you answered your own question. Yes it can be used. Should it.....probably not.

Ok, but I wanted to know if anyone else has used Window Perf for a windshield banner?

It was Orajet 3675 and has a very low tack, maybe I should have sealed the lower front edge somehow?

AKwrapguy

Ok, but I wanted to know if anyone else has used Window Perf for a windshield banner?

It was Orajet 3675 and has a very low tack, maybe I should have sealed the lower front edge somehow?

You can take a 1/2 strip of lam and seal it. But again can you vs should you..... I would look at the state laws, they might say that you can't.

CL Visual

I can't imagine how it would blow off if installed properly. If you do it again, make sure it's laminated with optically clear lamination. Also use lam tape and put a strip across where the perf meets the glass. Also make sure to use edge sealer on all the cut edges.

DerbyCitySignGuy

As AKwrapguy mentioned, the bigger issue might be windshield laws. In Kentucky, for instance, you can't have anything below the AS-1 line on the windshield (I think 6" might be clear of the AS-1 line on most windshields though).

DerbyCitySignGuy

(Pretty sure) legally you can put anything above the AS1 line.

I think it depends on the state. I want to say California doesn't allow ANYTHING on the front windshield except for toll stickers and the like, but I might be wrong. There's one state that has pretty stringent rules about windshields.

unclebun

All perf has a lower tack adhesive than regular vinyl, no matter the brand. That, combined with its thickness, conspire to make it unsuitable for putting on the windshield. Not only will wind peel it off, the wipers will too. If you have to put something printed on the top of a windshield, use vinyl with normal adhesive. You don't need perf because you shouldn't be putting it anywhere in the driver's field of view.

Cyclynn

I did it, and it's working, and looks good. Window perf is so easy to apply, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We've used perf on the sides of vehicle windows and they held up to 70mph. Granted it wasn't the windshield but I would imagine the sides of a van still get good wind.

phototec

All perf has a lower tack adhesive than regular vinyl, no matter the brand. That, combined with its thickness, conspire to make it unsuitable for putting on the windshield. Not only will wind peel it off, the wipers will too. If you have to put something printed on the top of a windshield, use vinyl with normal adhesive. You don't need perf because you shouldn't be putting it anywhere in the driver's field of view.

Thanks to everyone who added input about this, I believe this is the best answer to my issue. I noticed window perf has lower tack and I did not seal the lower edge or use a strip of laminate to seal the edge.

I did use optically clear laminate on the widow perf windshield banner that was 5" high and 54" wide and applied to the top of the window.