• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you cut Coroplast with Tabletop router?

JaneD

I've been searching for information on how to cut custom shapes from coroplast - I don't need a ton only about 20, so, I can't afford to pay the high cost of a steel die, or the setup charges folks want for digital cutting services via laser or CNC machines.

I've read a few posts on here where folks mentioned you can create a wood die from mdf and then use a table or hand router to cut the shape out of corroplast. I've tried that myself, but every time I have horrible results. I get either REALLY frayed edges or the flutes don't cut correctly & leave "tags" on the edges of the piece. This method works great on solid materials like sintra, but not corroplast which is what I need.

Could anyone give me any specifics or pointers on how to do this successfully? I've tried different kinds of bits, but none seem to work. I've tried speeding up & slowing down, no difference... Any help would be appreciated.

I've only tried a table router (I'm not even sure what hand router is - but saw it mentioned). I've done searches, but have found nothing more than the recommendation to do it this way for short runs, with no details or mention of these issues I'm facing.

Thank you for any help or guidance you can provide.

GVP

You don't mention how big a piece, but I would do smallish shapes on our laser engraver - perfect cuts, no rough edges. Maybe there is someone local to you who could help?

phototec

Clamp several sheets together (3-4), with a piece of chipboard on top and bottom, top piece has the pattern drawn on it using your plotter with a pen replacing the cutter, then use a Roto Zip with a spiral cutting tip, slow the speed down so it will not melt the edges, and just follow your pattern.

:smile:

JaneD

Thank you for all the suggestions...

The pieces are no larger than 18x24 with curves but I try to avoid lots of edge details.

I've used an exacto before - that is NOT pleasant for 1 or 20. I'm a small woman and cutting through the corroplast against the flutes is horrible, especially on angles. Is the "olfa blade" that much better than an exacto?

I have used a scroll saw (is that the same as a bandsaw?) before with 5 banded together at a time, left slightly rough edges and it was hard to "steer" but unfortunately, I don't have access to a scroll saw anymore. I do have access to a bandsaw - so I'm going to give that a try.

I don't have a rotozip to try out that option.

A hotwire, isn't that for foamcore?

Laser? um no. Not for the prices they are asking, no.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Techman

i cut coro all the time with my cnc.. I make a lot of custom sized shipping boxes. most of the time it cuts a nice edge.. sometimes it burrs. But a quick swipe with a sand paper block and it cleans up really fast..