• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you see stars where you live?

mikefine

I can maybe see 10-20 stars on a clear winter night -- and that’s it.

I noticed this in NY Times Magazine. Great photo artwork.

“What would New York or Shanghai look like with a full sky of brilliant stars? Thierry Cohen, a French photographer, thinks he can show us by blending city scenes and the night skies from less populated locations that fall on the same latitudes.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/02/03/magazine/look-stars.html

Attachments

• stars.jpg
    stars.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 59
  • star 2.jpg
    star 2.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 59

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"Can you see stars where you live?"

Lee Marvin used to have a boat ported here

wayne k
guam usa

mikefine

Planets? I lived in NJ as well, John. Even by the ocean -- you are lucky if you can see the moon on clear nights. Am I right?

SignosaurusRex

On a good clear night I can pick out the different constellations that are currently present in the region. When I spend time at my home-away-from-home in the 'The Big Sky country', I can gaze for hours and imagine being Major Toms....."Major Toms to ground control....

mark-s

On a clear night can`t count that high how many stars I can see.
I live in the mountains of So Cal.
Clean air, quiet, no street lights, just beatiful.
See shooting stars all the time.
I call it Gods Country.

mark-s

John Butto

But when they take pics of the earth at night from spacecrafts, all you guys who see the stars are black, while we shine brightly. So you see there is always two ways to look at things.

Marlene

we have a total of 4 lightbulbs in my town so yes, we get to see stars, the Milky Way. I have a moon roof in the car and love looking up as I drive into work. I spent a week on China Lake in Maine and it was unreal how dark it is there. when the lights go off, you feel like you've gone blind. saw a ton of stars there.

Jillbeans

Pretty much...yes.
I can see Orion and the Big and Little Dippers (the only constellations I know)
Here's a cool state park in PA, out in the boonies but worth the trek.
Love....Jill

Billct2

Can see the stars pretty well in my backyard, especially this time of year. Until I'm up in New Hampshire wheere I spend a lot of time, then I really see what's up there. Including the northern lights a few times.

anotherdog

I'm on the very edge of a small town and my backyard faces farms and forest.
I'm told the sky can be breathtaking...
I had my eyes lasered about 15 years ago. The cost of being without thick glasses was the loss of my nightvision. I can barely make out 10 stars.

I can remember summer nights as a kid lying in the grass just looking up for hours watching shooting stars.

Graphics2u

Yep, on a clear winter night, the sky is literally covered with stars. pretty amazing at times. My son has a telescope and we've found Venus, Saturn and Jupiter. When you get zoomed in on them it really shows you how fast we and the other planets are moving because it's hard to keep them in view, they just constantly move accross the view finder.

Mosh

We are pretty dark at night here in Nebraska, so we can see alot of cool stuff up there. In fact I have seen the Shuttle fly over and the Space station too.