• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you teach me to print shirts???

Mosh

I had a guy call me, at 9 at night, and want me to teach him how to print shirts. He was a proud new owner of a "four color" shirt machine (4 color 1 station). I asked him first what software, printer and film he was using to make the film positives to expose the screens, I lost him at that point. This guy had No Graphic Programs, No ink, No squeegies, No screens, No dryer, No exposure unit, No washout tank, No way to make postitives....he got suckered on a machine worth about $50 and payed $2K for it. He told me it would only take me a day to show him how to print shirts...can't be that hard. I feel bad, he is an older guy, him and his wife thought they were going to retire on printing shirts.

Should I call him back and "help" him in some way? I do feel bad he got ripped, but....I guess I could sell him some of my old stuff and get him started, but he is going to have to spend at least $10K to do that....

inthesignbiz

Kind of wish the guy had done some research before buying a machine to do a thing he has no clue about.

Printa.com has a good starter package that comes with training videos.
Youtube is also a pretty good source for learning.

But, until he gets a lot of "hands on" experience (and more equipment), he's in for a lot of frustration.

If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it.
Ask all of those people that bought YuDus.

This is why I always say "Just because you have a guitar, it don't make you Jimi Hendrix".

jiarby

get him for 10k in training, and then sell him a $40 home depot garage utility sink for $800 as a washout booth.

Craig Sjoquist

Point him to the library so he read up on what he's got himself into, your time is valued, but even if he's a veteran he needs to no whats coming before he spends more cash.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Although his approach is somewhat frowned upon..... if you feel like helping the guy, why don't you ?? It can only make a friendship if nothing else. Besides, if he learns it and you can help him, maybe you can have him do your shirts for little or no charge and he can send you sign work.

Making a friend comes in all kinds of sizes, shapes and colors.

JR's

Although his approach is somewhat frowned upon..... if you feel like helping the guy, why don't you ?? It can only make a friendship if nothing else. Besides, if he learns it and you can help him, maybe you can have him do your shirts for little or no charge and he can send you sign work.

:goodpost:

you have a big hart Mosh. :thumb: :thumb:

JR

kylebrk

As a business owner, we have so much extra time to teach others. However, I have to agree with the above.

People being nice is such a rare occurrence. I'm sure someone has done something for you that they had no reason to do. Situations like this are what make life worth living sometimes.

If you feel like helping him or you think you should, do it!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
yea, then lets all sit around and sing kumbaya....

and the next day a guy comes to your shop and says i bought this hammer can you teach me?????

give me a break, sad stories are everywhere, tell the guy how it is, look dude you got hosed, you made a bad investment, quit while your ahead.......

Marlene

he bought a machine and did no research before he bought it and now wants you to figure it all out for him?

I feel bad, he is an older guy, him and his wife thought they were going to retire on printing shirts.

that does make you kind of feel bad for him but only kind of. do whatever you feel good about to give him a hand but if he did this, don't expect him to figure much out on his own as he sounds like a guy who will depend on others to bail him out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Mosh already has "employees" who do that.
Nah.... they got scared and went south. Besides, they aren't considered employees if they don't pay taxes.

He's now a one-man-show...... :supersmilie: He hunts, drinks, kills, drives just about everything including people crazy, farms, makes signs, teaches shirts 101 Nebraskan style [white on white], shoots anything that moves and still has time to visit with his family.

JR's

:popcorn:

this is going to get good.
(Don't forget Gino he punches peoples teeth out to. the ones that park in his lot then come to his house to complain.)

JR