• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cannot downgrade firmware!

philipjk108

Hello, I have a JV33-130 and I'm trying to downgrade the firmware from 5.0.1 to 2.20, I downloaded FWupdatetool3 along with the jv33_ts3 V2.20.rom file from http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MimakiJV3Printers/, and when I try to update it gives me a error code "Cannot transmit the data. Check the status of the printer" and I made sure to hit the "Remote" key when I see "Local" displayed on the screen, and the printer seems to be connected properly to the computer. I just recently upgraded the firmware, and from what I can tell I should be able to downgrade it with the firmware update tool that comes with rasterlink, but i'm not given a option to do that.

Error Code - Cannot transmit the data. Check the status of the printer.
Cause - Error occurred while sending and receiving.
Countermeasures - Check if the printer is in proper mode. Check if the printer and the host PC are properly connected

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Snydo

I always was under the impression that firmware updates were unreversable. I could be, and the way this day has been going, probably am wrong though.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Did you try searching here for Mimaki JV33 Firmware?? The 3rd result has your answer..... http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?114312-Mimaki-JV33-quot-Special-Firmware

Actually it is quite likely not possible. Essentially there are 2 versions of mainboards in JV33 machines and at a certain point (updating to firmware 4.6 and up) updating the firmware is a one way street. Generally one can downgrade firmware but once version 4.60 or higher gets installed there is no going back. You are stuck and trying to force it to downgrade from the version you are at risks bricking the mainboard. Sorry but no non-oem head for you unless you get one of the adapter boards that a few Chinese vendors make now. Even with one of those I'm not sure it would work, those adapter boards were made to overcome the print width limitation Epson started adding to DX5 heads intended for narrower machines which causes a line when printing with the head in a wide format machine. I have not read of anyone trying to use one of those boards to overcome the "device construction error" which comes as a result of Mimaki implementing a head resistance check for a non Mimaki oem head in firmware above 2.40.

GTSTech_1

You need to put the machine into UpLoad/Download mode..........hold the up and down keys when powering on. When downgrading or upgrading firmware you have to do it in order.....you can't go from say firmware 4 to 6, or 6 to 4. Good Luck.

Wondering why you are wanting to downgrade the firmware, trying to dummy down the machine to use 3rd party ink?

My .02

GTSTech_1

philipjk108

You need to put the machine into UpLoad/Download mode..........hold the up and down keys when powering on. When downgrading or upgrading firmware you have to do it in order.....you can't go from say firmware 4 to 6, or 6 to 4. Good Luck.

Wondering why you are wanting to downgrade the firmware, trying to dummy down the machine to use 3rd party ink?

My .02

GTSTech_1

I'm trying to use a print head that apparently can't be used with firmware version 3.2 and newer, I get a 202 device construction error when I switch the print head out to the new one. When you say you have to downgrade in order, do you mean I have to go from 5 to 4, then 4 to 3 and so on?

GTSTech_1

Yes to the firmware question. Seems any money saved by buying a 3rd party head has been lost to printer being down, but I'm sure you have your reasons for going that route. Also note that when manufactures release a update to the firmware, it's usually to improve the performance of the machine......ie less cleaning cycles, Dot Patterns for the head, etc. Hope the downgrade doesn't effect the performance you have come to expect with the machine.

My .02

GTSTech_1

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Actually if your read my reply and the other thread I linked you would see that from the official Mimaki engineering documents that once a JV33 has its firmware updated to 4.6 downgrading is no longer possible. They made changes to allow for a newer version of the mainboards and once an older one is loaded with 4.6 or higher it can no longer be downgraded. You can try but you will either get an error or run a high risk of bricking the mainboard. There are also 2 versions of the mainboards for them now as well, the newer version also cannot even be downgraded.

However as you have discovered, the non-oem heads will only work with version 2.20 and lower firmware. Any newer firmware and you get the device construction 202 error. There is no workaround for this that I know of.

nashtradamus

Hi All,

I confirm having downgraded main pcb E105997 from firmware 4.6 to firmware 2.20 to be able to use a 3rd party dx5 head.
FW has to be downgraded using Fware update tool and correct prm file needs to be used. The head works without the device construction error.

However, my easyresetv3 chip resetter which worked on fware 4.0 will not work once upgraded to fware 4.6 even after downgrade to 2.20. i had to change to a new easyresetv3 with newer firmware. This chip resetter still works on another machine with FW 4.0

Not sure if the firmware can be downgraded from 4.6 on main pcb E106478 though.

Hope this can help someone.

4everpimpin

help

I'm having the same problem only I'm trying to downgrade from 3.6 to 2.2 so the point of no return shouldn't be an issue for me but I might be doing something wrong is there any way anyone could walk me through the downgrading process pretty please with a cherry on top