• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cannot Open Port?

MariaMartini

I have a Graphtec and I use the Cut Master Plug-In for Adobe Illustrator, but today it's giving me a "Cannot Open Port" error on my computer when I try to send to the plotter.

I have checked all connections, restarted my computer & the plotter!

Any other suggestions?

THANKS!

MariaMartini

heck to see if firewall is on if so turn off!

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I checked the firewall and that seems NOT to be the problem.

I guess I'll give a little extra info which is going to make me sound like a dumb@$$.

My plotter is in the garage but it hard wired to my computer which is in the office, and part of the usb cable goes under a deep freezer in the garage. Over the weekend I defrosted the deep freezer and to my surprise it leaked all over the place, and the usb cable got wet, but the plotter was not on and I did not turn it on until everything had dried.

The plotter still turns on and seems to be working fine, but could I have killed the usb cable when it got wet?

Joop

That happens to me every once in a while. What has worked for me in the past is: unplug the usb on the plotter side, wait a couple seconds... then try to send to the plotter again. Don't even bother turning off anything. It works for me, hopefully it works for you.

Mainframe

grab another cable & carry the computer near the cutter & hook another cable to it if the cutter works your cable is bad

MariaMartini

Thanks for all the help! I'll keep you updated but likely we won't be fixing it now until Friday. About to go to church...

Merry Christmas!

OADesign

Ok it not just local then.
I covered for a guy in tech support last week.

And I got calls from around the US with this very same problem. It was not isolated to usb though. I had some guys with FC series graphtec with serial connections having the same issue. The major difference is these guys all run flexi. Cutmaster is a scanvec product too so i wonder if its the same issue.

A few guys were able to fix the problem by up grading to the latest free update (most often 7.0v1 to 7.6v2). A another fix is changing ports. If its serial, you can change the set up from COM1 to COM 2, 3, or 4. If its USB you can change it from USB001 on up.

Try that. post your results.

But overall it can't be isolated it must have some thing to do with a windows update or a Norton ( or McAfee ) update. These two are the only two common things with the folks I've seen with this issue.

MariaMartini

Ok it not just local then.
I covered for a guy in tech support last week.

And I got calls from around the US with this very same problem. It was not isolated to usb though. I had some guys with FC series graphtec with serial connections having the same issue. The major difference is these guys all run flexi. Cutmaster is a scanvec product too so i wonder if its the same issue.

A few guys were able to fix the problem by up grading to the latest free update (most often 7.0v1 to 7.6v2). A another fix is changing ports. If its serial, you can change the set up from COM1 to COM 2, 3, or 4. If its USB you can change it from USB001 on up.

Try that. post your results.

But overall it can't be isolated it must have some thing to do with a windows update or a Norton ( or McAfee ) update. These two are the only two common things with the folks I've seen with this issue.

My husband is working on the update right now. Hopefully that works!

However, we are working off a Mac so that is not common with the problems you experienced.

Thanks soo much for the help and I'll keep you updated!

MariaMartini

Mac or Illustrator Updated Caused the Problem

I assume more of you will start experiencing this.. my Mac or Illustrator updated which caused a conflict with my Graphtec..

Updated the Cut Master plug-in and it fixed the problem!

Thanks everyone and especially OADesign!

Merry Christmas!