• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon ImagePROGRAF W6400 on vinyl

JoshWI

I just picked up a Canon ImagePROGRAF W6400 and I want to use it to print onto 24” vinyl. I got the printer for free but it needs a new set of ink cartridges. I found ink on a website I use for toner for our office printers, www.ldproducts.com.

Any tips, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The iPF range use aqueous inks... you're going to need to source specialty vinyl for it.
Solvent vinyls will not work at all.
Even using the right type of vinyl, the inks aren't going to last outdoors. The inks are suited for indoor use with little UV exposure.

JoshWI

The goal is to print vinyl for cornhole games. If necessary, they could be sprayed with a clear coat after printing, once adhered to the board.

I wonder, too, if my ink supplier or another supplier could fill the ink tanks with a different type of ink or if I could buy bulk ink and refill the empty tanks.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I could be talking out my ass here, but I'm not sure that the ink lines or heads would be suitable for solvent based inks.
Happy for anyone with more knowledge to chime in on the topic.

JoshWI

I did some research on the conversation after my last post. There are conversion kits out there but I don’t think they have them for my specific machine. They are fairly costly too; not quite as much as a new or refurbished solvent machine but more than I want to spend right now. I think I’m going to go the aqueous vinyl and sealer route for now and keep my eyes open for a used solvent machine.

Anyone that may have useful info, please chime in.

boxerbay

dont change the inks. it will fail.

use AQ media. lexjet.com has high quality AQ self adhesive vinyl and much more.

if it is for outdoor use you might want to laminate it with clear UV vinyl but even laminated AQ inks dont hold up well to the suns punishment.