• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon Pro-6000 & Onyx Thrive

cstone94

Pro-Graphx
Just installed a Canon PRO-6000. I've been running neoStampa with my Epson P-Series but they don't fully support this printer yet. So I got a trial run of Thrive.
Trying to profile some Enhanced Matte paper and either I'm so used to other RIP software and have no idea what I'm doing or this software SUCKS. I've been using Ergosoft Texprint 14 for 8+ years, and now have Texprint 14, 15, FieryXF, Rasterlink, and neoStampa.

Following their "Profiling Guide" does me no good... Has anyone used Thrive with the Pro series Canon's??

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We've been using Onyx 12.2 with our Canon PRO-6000 since November. Zero issues, prints are gorgeous and clients are extremely happy with the upgrade from the iPF8100.
We profiled with i1Profiler though, as Onyx was giving us smaller gamut on the same media types.

What tools are you using?

cstone94

Pro-Graphx
We've been using Onyx 12.2 with our Canon PRO-6000 since November. Zero issues, prints are gorgeous and clients are extremely happy with the upgrade from the iPF8100.
We profiled with i1Profiler though, as Onyx was giving us smaller gamut on the same media types.

What is the difference in Thrive and what you have?

I was trying to create a profile using the media manager using an i1 Pro 2.

chinaski

How do your custom profiles compare to Canon's canned profiles? RGB or CMYK mode?

I've Tried making my own in Caldera for our Pro-4000, but results were worse. I'm thinking because I don't have a license for RGB profiling, my results weren't as good. Also using older version of i1 Pro.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
What is the difference in Thrive and what you have?

I was trying to create a profile using the media manager using an i1 Pro 2.

Thrive is just a networked version of Onyx. It detects the USB key anywhere on the network and allows you to use whatever licenced features you're allowed from anywhere.
We run PosterShop which requires the key to be plugged into the machine you're working on.
There are some other features, but likely nothing you'll be using in the demo version.

Okay great, using the same equipment as us then. Instead of using Onyx to make the profiles, you can begin by creating a new media type in Onyx, then printing a swatch set via TIFF exported from i1Profiler, measuring them in to creat an ICC profile, then import back into Onyx.
I don't have time to write the full procedure today, but can offer one of our matte profiles to get you started if you like.

How do your custom profiles compare to Canon's canned profiles? RGB or CMYK mode?

I've Tried making my own in Caldera for our Pro-4000, but results were worse. I'm thinking because I don't have a license for RGB profiling, my results weren't as good. Also using older version of i1 Pro.

We do not use canned profiles at all. Our clients require the highest accuracy possible (fine art reproduction) so we profile every new media type as they are added into our system.
The printer itself gets a 6 monthly calibration to bring it back to a set standard (which the profiles are all based off) so accuracy does not stray.
Profiling is done in RGB as the Canon aqueous printers expect RGB data.

cstone94

Pro-Graphx
Thrive is just a networked version of Onyx. It detects the USB key anywhere on the network and allows you to use whatever licenced features you're allowed from anywhere.
We run PosterShop which requires the key to be plugged into the machine you're working on.
There are some other features, but likely nothing you'll be using in the demo version.

Okay great, using the same equipment as us then. Instead of using Onyx to make the profiles, you can begin by creating a new media type in Onyx, then printing a swatch set via TIFF exported from i1Profiler, measuring them in to creat an ICC profile, then import back into Onyx.
I don't have time to write the full procedure today, but can offer one of our matte profiles to get you started if you like.

We do not use canned profiles at all. Our clients require the highest accuracy possible (fine art reproduction) so we profile every new media type as they are added into our system.
The printer itself gets a 6 monthly calibration to bring it back to a set standard (which the profiles are all based off) so accuracy does not stray.
Profiling is done in RGB as the Canon aqueous printers expect RGB data.

Finally got it figured out over the weekend! I needed to use CMY as the process colors. Getting more comfortable with the software now!