• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can't open corel draw files all of a sudden??

cartersigns

Can anyone help me out with this?

I've got some clients files backed up on a disk and for some reason I can't open them in corel anymore. They are corel draw 12 files and I'm using corel draw 12.

If I open the folder they are in and douple click the file, it opens corel draw but it just opens a blank page. If I open corel draw and then try to open the file through corel draw it says "filename.cdr is not importable using the selected filter, or this format is not supported".

I've attached a couple of pictures showing you what the thumbnails look like in the folder. The first one is of the file that won't open properly...the second picture is of another file on the same disk that does open properly.

Is there anyway to get these files to open or am I really screwed here?

Attachments

• corel.jpg
    corel.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 178
  • corel_01.jpg
    corel_01.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 157

JdaddioN

Seems to me there is a problem with the 3 files. Since you have Corel 12 on your system any file that is of a .cdr extension will have the small draft like that of the far 2 right files. Those 3 don't.

cartersigns

but is there a way to get them to open some how?

Why would some of the files on the disk be like that but then there are others on the same disk that are fine?

slangsc

They might be corrupted. They might not have saved properly, or there is a problem with your disk drive. Is it an external drive?

ryarotsky

Try exporting the file to .eps format, then re-opening it. Unfortunately, you'll lose a lot of Corel Draw' goodies, but it may save some hard work.

I have the same problem once in awhile. I started on CorelDraw8, then 11 and now X3. I haven't been able to correlate the problem to any specific version.

Occasionally (rarely), I open a file in Corel Draw X3 to find just a blank screen. Opening the object manager shows the objects are there, but I can't add attributes like color, line thickness, etc. no matter what I do. I tried saving the files to previous versions, copying objects to a new page, etc. The only thing that got back any of my data was the export to .eps and reopen. Not entirely satisfactory, but better than starting from scratch. I'm mostly in the sticker business so I've never tried to recover colors.