• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canvas stretch - problem

kazziu

Hello.
I started making canvas prints and the first time i have landed a nice job almost immediately i have stumbled upon problems. The order consists of 100+ stretched canvases, size is 27x19 inches. The problem is the canvas material, after a week the canvases loosen and the material is far from tight, unnaceptable for the client. I hammer the pins/pegs in the corners for the finishing stretch and at first the material is so tight i could play a drum solo but after a week it's far from client ready. I use a polyester/pcv canvas material but the same thing occures when a use a more natural canvas material, i print on Latex. Do You have any ideas how can i improve the tightness so it could last?
Thanks.
Kazimierz.

Dan360

Do you take the canvas around to the back of the frame and staple it? We also use a line of glue on the inside edges before we fold up the frames and assemble.

What brand and thickness of canvas are you using?

kazziu

Yes we do staple it quite densely, we use Apex Premium Polyester canvas 240g, i try to figure out if its the canvas, our technique or is it the frames, i think it's the canvas but maybe someone has a different proposition?
Thanks.

Dan360

I would guess it's the canvas. If it's tight when it leaves your shop then it's stretching out over time, I would check to make sure the canvas is actually meant to be used in stretch frames.

The only thing I could think technique-wise is that maybe it's too tight or your corner brackets are slipping out somehow. Are you able to just re-hammer the corner brackets in and get the tightness back?

Maybe a picture of your frames and corners would help.

AF

Check if the bars are deflecting. Add a spreader if needed. Cotton / Flax canvas tends to stay tighter. Heavier weight canvas will stay tighter.

#racewraps

@printwithspeed
I would guess it's the canvas. If it's tight when it leaves your shop then it's stretching out over time, I would check to make sure the canvas is actually meant to be used in stretch frames.

The only thing I could think technique-wise is that maybe it's too tight or your corner brackets are slipping out somehow. Are you able to just re-hammer the corner brackets in and get the tightness back?

Maybe a picture of your frames and corners would help.

I totally agree with this, I'd think it's most likely the canvas. I've purchased a few different types to test out. None of which has become loose or floppy since mounted. Even have one about 9 years old that still looks great, not sure what it was printed on, had someone else do it years ago before I had the ability to do it myself. Might want to try spreader bars as well as someone else suggested.

I really like the Sihl Picasso Satin Canvas 17mil so far. Have some others i'd like to try as well.