• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Carriage motion failure

poslive

Hi all,
I'm getting repeated Carriage Motion Failure errors on my FB700. We can get it to print one sheet then the error pops up and tells us to remove damaged media, even though the media already ejected. We've been back and forth with the HP no-help desk for 2 days with no solution in sight.
So far we've:
-Cleaned everything we could reach with a swab
-performed a service center calibration
-replaced the encoder strip
-talked dirty to it

None of which has solved the problem. So, while I wait for another returned call from HP I thought I'd reach out to the pros--any ideas??

Thanks,
TJ

bjnamk

Ensure the data cable is securely connected. We ran into this previously. Disconnected and reconnected, ensured the home sensors were clean and we've been running fine since.

SBTJC

Have you found a solution?

Just wondering if you have found a solution to this? Getting the same thing. So far we have replaced the Encoder Strip, and retensioned the Carriage Belt (Waiting on a new carriage belt to arrive). Have also cleaned everything we could think to clean, checked all connections. Right now we are also having a problem with the shutters. Not wanting to open.

:banghead:

SBTJC

replace the data cable. we run into the same problem about every 5 months and it is the data cable.

This might sound stupid, but which cable is the data cable? There are many cables in it. And seriously, the data cable? We can keep it running. It just wont do multiple prints anymore. After it does a print, it goes into the purge cycle then that is when Carriage Motion failure comes up. Typically by messing around with the Tension Assembly on the service end. Adding some oil to it, and popping the tensioner a couple of times, everything comes back for the next round of printing.

SBTJC

Found the Data cable. The pink or purple cable at the top of the head right? Run's all the way to the PC. I guess, that can go back, it's constantly being moved. Interesting.
I can order one of those next, I guess.

SBTJC

We haven't replaced the Data Cable, but did replace the carriage drive assembly, the tension assembly, encoder strip and belt and all seems right with the world. Aside for now. The cyan head isn't filling with ink. Not even making an attempt to fill it actually. Oh boy. This month is not good. Have three really large jobs to print, and no way to print as of right now.