• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Carved figure on roof of Monster Truck

deegrafix

Hi!

I'm planning a project including a carved full size clown, face down with head lifted looking forward on top of a truck that will drop 35' out of the air on a regular basis. I'll use HD Styrofoam. Any ideas on how to stablize the head to take a lot of abuse? The body is a "box", so the figure will be supported fully along it's length.

The carving and painting will be a blast but my face will be red if his head pops off after the first landing!

Attached is one of these monsters and the height they get up to...

dee

Attachments

• abuse potential.jpg
    abuse potential.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 146

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I would add and armature so it doesn't pop off and a plate that attaches under the body. I would also fiberglass the outside.

You might suggest they spring for 2 or more at a slightly reduced price. May even make sense to build a mold off the original so future ones are easier to make.

These guys win the freestyle by driving through RV's and destroying their vehciles.

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 111

deegrafix

I would add and armature so it doesn't pop off and a plate that attaches under the body. I would also fiberglass the outside.

You might suggest they spring for 2 or more at a slightly reduced price. May even make sense to build a mold off the original so future ones are easier to make.

These guys win the freestyle by driving through RV's and destroying their vehciles.

I don't think their budget will go for fiberglass, and I don't know much about it but will look into it. We've already talked a bit about making at least one spare in case they roll it. I've never made a mold, so would have to do some studying about that. I've been teasing my son, (the potential driver) that I will pose him and coat him in crisco and use him for the mold. He's probably worried, (having grown up in a custom sign shop), that I may really do it..... If I can find a way to do it that's not toxic, hmmm.

I like the armature, but then couldn't use styrofoam. I wouldn't think the spray kind would be suitable for carving. ?? I have a lot of research to do, thank all for google!

They want evil clowns, even creepier!

deegrafix

Not for years, but watch a little on TV since family is involved. They've been running a truck for 2 years now full time without flipping it or totally demolishing it and are finally going televised this winter with both.

Pat Whatley

Since I've got 3 year old boys who love monster trucks we watch them before bed a lot. The biggest thing that jumps out with the aluminum armature is that it will get somebody killed. The trucks are just a cage with a fiberglass body draped over them. When the truck crashes/rolls over that aluminum framework is going to go somewhere and there's nothing to stop it from stabbing the driver.

I'm willing to bet you that the USHRA has some guidelines about what you can and can't do.

FYI: From Wikipedia...Body and Paint Bodies are made out of durable rough fiberglass. Custom bodies such as the ones used in Monster trucks cost $20,000 to make and mold and decrease in price for every remake of the original. Paint jobs are a combination of custom artwork, logos and lettering that can cost up to $7,000.

ProWraps

Not for years, but watch a little on TV since family is involved. They've been running a truck for 2 years now full time without flipping it or totally demolishing it and are finally going televised this winter with both.

oh things will change when they go to televised events. if you dont demolish your truck, you aint runnin hard enough!

Sticky Signs

An alternative to fiber glass woould be a 2 part hard coat. find somebody with an MX sprayer (usually a painter or a insulation company) and have them spray it on the foam carving. The stuff is practically bullet proof and you can easily paint it. Not sure how to mount it though.

raider

mount some type of loop to his belly and tie-down strap him down running the straps through the windows. Easy on/off, can attach a soft "body" and no rigid mounting brackets to impale the driver.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
here's a wacky idea: how about an inflatable of some sort? It likely wouldn't get destroyed if the truck rolled (maybe need a few small patches). Wouldn't impale your driver either.

signmeup

here's a wacky idea: how about an inflatable of some sort? It likely wouldn't get destroyed if the truck rolled (maybe need a few small patches). Wouldn't impale your driver either.
I thought the same thing.... maybe with a solid foam head and a cloth costume.