• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Carved HDU signs longer than 8'

Billct2

I can't believe this is the first time I've quoted a carved sign over 8', but I guess it is.
I'm wondering what technique and adhesives others are using to join the panels.
Since this is a wall mount I'm thinking of a butt joint between two letters and backing with
dibond or alumalite. Using gorilla glue or polyurethane glue on the joint, but trying to keep it away from the face
and filling the seam after with a paintable chaulk. I've always had a problem with sanding glue on HDU, it's harder than
the HDU and ends up standing higher than the face.
Any suggestions/cautions?
Thanks

J Hill Designs

I would use 1" thick HDU and lam like attached

Attachments

• hdu.jpg
    hdu.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 122

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Haven't any recently, but the preferred method at a previous shop (and we did a lot of them) was to use biscuit joints, and they always worked quite well. Worked for carved, routed, and sandblasted signs.

tbullo

Superunknown
I also glue first then route. I just route it in 2 sections moved under router. I have glued it in 2 sections. Just a little more time needed to line up and keep wiping glue as it dries.

Billct2

I sub the routing, so that's not available.
I could also sub it to a wholesale sign carver, but it's more profitable to do everything but the routing in house.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why does subbing it out make it undoable ?? Common carrier will charge as much for 2 pieces 7' long as 1 piece 14' long. Crate it up and make sure it won't snap, unless your vendor is close by.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Because for this job my HDU supplier also is the router.

So, he drops off the panel, you cut and glue it up and he sends a call tag, picks it up and you give him a file to carve and cut the whole thing at once. He then returns the solid piece finished to you. That will be a far better job, then gluing it together afterwards.

Billct2

I'll ask, but I don't think they do that. And since they already quoted the job knowing that is was one sign in two pieces from a single sheet I think they would have offered/suggested that option were it available.