• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Carved Pizza Sign

neato

Here's a sign I just finished up. Still working on my hand carving, some of the depths of the letters are off, but it's getting easier!

Attachments

• pizza1.png
    pizza1.png
    637.2 KB · Views: 202
  • pizza2.png
    pizza2.png
    759.3 KB · Views: 201

neato

Thanks

The sign itself is HDU, painted with exterior acrylic paint. The Pizza is sculpted with Aves Apoxie Sculpt and painted with artist acrylics.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The carving is nice work.

The slice of pizza is visually discordant. Perhaps because it's positioned symmetrically on the X axis as if signalling for a right turn. Maybe that's because you wanted that corner stuck there between the 'Y' and the 'C'. It would fit in a lot better if it were at some arbitrary angle and better filled the space available to it. I should think that overall visual harmony, something desperately needed here, would trump having that corner ending up in the text.

Marlene

The carving is nice work.

The slice of pizza is visually discordant. Perhaps because it's positioned symmetrically on the X axis as if signalling for a right turn. Maybe that's because you wanted that corner stuck there between the 'Y' and the 'C'. It would fit in a lot better if it were at some arbitrary angle and better filled the space available to it. I should think that overall visual harmony, something desperately needed here, would trump having that corner ending up in the text.

I agree with bob on the angle of the pizza but that is one great looking slice! nice job on the carving

neato

I agree 100%. In fact, I've only tacked the applique on temporarily for now since I was so unsure. I've been looking at it too long :)

TimToad

I'd agree with others on the position of the slice, but I think overall it looks awesome.

The only other minor thing I picked up on was at the top of the letter "A", the vanishing point seems a little clumsy. Its such a minor point to bring up, but I noticed it.

We all need to remember that its a HANDCRAFTED sign and should not look like some Peachtree injection formed piece of foam.

JR's

I think the sign looks really neat. But I do agree with Bob on the placement of the pizza slice.
Maybe angle it down. Or turn it right around .pointy part of the pizza go into that area and around crust at the bottom. Maybe the two curves will look nice, opposite of one another.

rossmosh

Thanks for the tip about the Aves Apoxie Sculpt. I actually imagine that would be easier and faster than modeling everything and then cutting it out of HDU or PVC.

I agree with others that the slice of pizza's orientation is off. My only other small nit pick is the painting finish. I think you may benefit from spraying your base coat with a HVLP gun. If you decide to go this route, just get the largest fluid tip possible. Typically this will be between 2.2-2.5mm. This will allow you to spray latex without thinning it a crazy amount.

Jillbeans

Dammit, that thing is making me hungry. I love the colors, like the finish, and agree about the angle of the slice, I would try it with the pointy end going up between the names.
Looking great.
Love....Jill

shoresigns

Pizza slice pointing down would be the most aesthetically pleasing in most cases, I think, but you haven't left enough space to do that.