• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Carved wooden sign for cafe - need advice please

ruffback

Hello everyone,

I've designed a wooden sign for a local cafe and we've already had a half-size (3ft) mock-up done in pine - fully CNC routered (by a friend who's keen to get better at this process) at varying levels to create a nice effect.

Now we have to source some beautiful (nice grain), durable wood for full-size version (perhaps as long as 7ft). We're planning to stain the sign (two tone) and will be having the letters painted. Our main issue is that this San Francisco cafe is south facing in full sun for most of the day - it's going to need some serious sealing / protection and upkeep I think.

So... a few Qs off the top of my head:

1) Is Cedar our best choice.. given that we're routering it? If not, what might be a better choice?

2) Any tips on how to source the right kind of wood and what should we bear in mind (vertical grain etc)?

3) How should this - or another type of wood - ideally be treated? UV, water protection, etc... Any specific products to
recommend and the sequence of all this given we'll be staining? We're not sure what to do with the outer rim of the sign either.

4) Anything else we need to know? It's been a real learning curve getting this far. As my first sign design I'm really happy with it.. would hate to see it fall apart within a few months!

Thanks so much everyone - really appreciate the time anyone takes to respond.

Jason

Attachments

• IMAG0259 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0259 (Medium).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 59