• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cast vinyl and over lam for long term signage?

dypinc

In the past when when doing flat signage I have used 3M IJ180CV3 and 8519 over-lam. I am always think that is a bit overkill in price but not quality.

So, I am just wondering if anyone has any recommendation on this kind of application that is just as durable but more cost effective?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What's your definition of long term.

It seems to have changed in the last decade or three. :confused:

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I think Avery is the most competitive on price for comparable specs. I do the Arlon brand and it's a little more cost effective than 3M.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
long term/vehicle wraps we use IJ180CV3 & 8518 over-lam
short term- pvc, coro, polymetal - IJ135C & 8509 over-lam
really short term - one day use coro or foamcore - golf tourney signs and such we use something else & without laminate (latex printer) Only because our rigid stock printer is down at the moment

MikePro

Might be worth looking into anything that boasts a 5year outdoor "intermediate-grade" calendared vinyl BUT continue laminating with your standard cast 7yr+ overlaminate, is a bit more budget-friendly without sacrificing much longevity....but saves you about $300+ per roll of print material, and helps ease the pain of misprints.

example: IJ35c-10 (cal) with 8518 (cast) overlam

other thing to consider, if you want to stick with cast/cast: get the heck away from 3M!!!!
Arlon & Orafol/Oracal are great high performance alternatives and don't jack their prices up every year.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Cast vinyl and lamination are going to give you the longest term outdoor.

EXCEPT if you are printing. Then you get let's say 3-5 years.

Depending on the type of signs you are doing, you can go to a calandred vinyl/lam. I've found that Oracal 3651RA/210G to be fairly dimensionally stable and easy to work with. Good life too. Lam gives you some added UV protection.

rjssigns

We've been using the Arlon 6000XRP/3220 combo for anything that has to last. Nice price too.