• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cast Vinyl for Latex Print & Cut

GB2

Old Member
Just wondering what material you are using for print & cut vinyl for digital printing, or more specifically latex printing. This would be preferably a cast material or second choice would be a "long term" permanent calendared material that would be used for print & cut for signage and/or applying over wrap materials.

AKwrapguy

Just wondering what material you are using for print & cut vinyl for digital printing, or more specifically latex printing. This would be preferably a cast material or second choice would be a "long term" permanent calendared material that would be used for print & cut for signage and/or applying over wrap materials.

3M IJ180 CV3 with 8518, 8519, 8520 lam. Goes through our HP570 perfectly.

GB2

Old Member
Yea, 3M IJ180 CV3 with 8518, 8519, 8520 lam is not really good for cutting, only for wrapping or applying in full sections. I'm looking for a good material for cutting printed letters. So, I think probably the best thing is to use 3M 7125, as it comes 48" and 60" wide and although it's not specifically rated for latex printing it is rated for thermal printing and it actually prints very well in a latex printer. Follow that up with a good cast lam and I think that's the best solution.

Grafix

We use Avery MPI2105 + matching lam for signage and Avery MPI1105 +DOL1460 for car wraps. I have a HP360

AKwrapguy

Yea, 3M IJ180 CV3 with 8518, 8519, 8520 lam is not really good for cutting, only for wrapping or applying in full sections. I'm looking for a good material for cutting printed letters. So, I think probably the best thing is to use 3M 7125, as it comes 48" and 60" wide and although it's not specifically rated for latex printing it is rated for thermal printing and it actually prints very well in a latex printer. Follow that up with a good cast lam and I think that's the best solution.

We cut with it all the time. Only issues we have is with small skinny serif letters. Aside from that no issue.

GB2

Old Member
OK, so follow up on this question....previously I had done some small pieces on the 3M 7125 with no problem however, since this discussion I did some large pieces printed on the HP 365 and I found out why it is not rated for latex printing. It seems that the liner will become baked onto the vinyl, resulting in pieces of liner being rather permanently stuck to the vinyl after weeding it. So, I guess it's back to using the IJ180 CV3 for large prints, wraps and print and cut vinyl!

papabud

Lone Wolf
i also use 3m 180 for all my print cut jobs. i almost never have an issue till i get to letters less than .5 inch tall.
even thats not even always a problem.

dale911

President
Are you sure the paper isn’t from cutting too deep? I have had that happen on many jobs on different printers with different media’s. If you break through the top layer of the liner, it will often do that. Cutting should be just through the vinyl and barely make a line if any on the liner. Some liners are nicer than others about sticking though if you do cut too deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk