• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cast vs Calendered as far as adhesive

rnjgraphics

Ok, another newbie question. I have been doing this for three years and still don't know enough to dangerous! I am making cut logo decals for matte baseball helmets. A parent is wanting to make sure I use the "really sticky stuff" ... I use 651 on just about everything I do, even made cups for home so I could spend less time doing dishes! They go through the dishwasher just fine.

So I am wondering, is there a difference in how well the 651 or 851 actually adheres to a matte helmet? I have read about the differences between the production process of the two, but are the adhesive properties any different? They are listed as the same on the Oracal color chart.

Thanks!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Quality cast and calendered vinyls use the same solvent base acrylic adhesive.

A cheap calendered vinyl will use a water base adhesive.

For helmets you should be using a specialty vinyl for low energy plastics if you want the decal to stick well.