• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cathode Ray Tube Monitors

signmeup

Mine died a month ago. Had to get an LCD. They're a lot better than then used to be but it's dark at the top if I don't sit right. Side to side's not too bad. I want a plasma monitor.:thumb:

jfiscus

Rap Master
I cannot get accurate colors out of an LCD monitor, I don't see how you can either, they just dont hit the same spectrums as close as the CRTs do. For most things in the sign business it doesn't matter (like cutting vinyl) but for discriminating customers in the print business you need an accurately calibrated monitor. I have dual monitors setup & one is a CRT & one is an LCD. Split the artwork over both monitors & there is a world of difference... :popcorn:

Tim Aucoin

I cannot get accurate colors out of an LCD monitor, I don't see how you can either, they just dont hit the same spectrums as close as the CRTs do. For most things in the sign business it doesn't matter (like cutting vinyl) but for discriminating customers in the print business you need an accurately calibrated monitor. I have dual monitors setup & one is a CRT & one is an LCD. Split the artwork over both monitors & there is a world of difference... :popcorn:
Coming from the offset print industry, I have to agree with you (sort of)! The lower priced LCD's don't represent accurate color. But... if you do as I have and invest in a good LCD (like the LaCie line of monitors) and use a good calibrator, you can achieve good, accurate color on them! :thumb:

We got rid of our last CRT monitor around 9 years ago!!

signmeup

Calibration on my HP 24" depends on where you're sitting. LCDs aren't better but people who surf the web like them because they are thin.

petrosgraphics

i have had a 20" crt monitor for years.... it's a monster but, have tried a flat screen,

not the same picture quality...... they are still available, size and choice tend to be the biggest problem.....

digitalwoodshop

I made Sony Picture Tubes for 17 inch Monitors for 2 years starting in 95 in San Diego... That was FUN... The other 6 was fixing stuff like Play Stations.

I have one CRT left in the shop on my Rotary Engraver Star 912.

AL

BrianKE

Many of the newer, cheaper LCD models are only capable of showing 6bit color instead of 8bit color. The 6bit monitors are only capable of showing ~262,000 colors while the 8bit is capable of showing ~16,000,000. Obviously the 6bit will not give as good of a representation of the true color a an 8bit monitor.

6bit is fine for people simply doing typical office type work but for the design professionals you will definitely want to stay with 8bit monitors.

Here is a good article on the subject.

HTH

Sign Works

Viewsonic G773 17" - Bought new in 1998, used daily, will not die! (I can remember when this thing looked huge, remember those tiny 13" monitors?)

Viewsonic P220f 21" (2) - Love these monsters (ya, they take up the whole desktop).

Viewsonic G220fb 21" - Another monster.

visualeyez

I use an old blurry CRT for all of my design work. It kinda sucks, but the computer and/or monitor do not make the design. I still don't understand how a calibrated monitor can match a printed color swatch. The swatch is only illuminated by whatever lights are in the room. The monitor is the same, and is also backlit, with a set amount of glare.
I assign colors by numbers only. On my monitor the files I create usually look WAY off, but the finished laminated print is spot on.

cartoad

Just one Crt left for a computer that doesn't get used for much, flat screens for design station (2), my desk, my wifes desk, and POS at front computer, and flat screens at home too! We also use print swatches to match colors.

signmeup

I use an old blurry CRT for all of my design work. It kinda sucks, but the computer and/or monitor do not make the design. I still don't understand how a calibrated monitor can match a printed color swatch. The swatch is only illuminated by whatever lights are in the room. The monitor is the same, and is also backlit, with a set amount of glare.
I assign colors by numbers only. On my monitor the files I create usually look WAY off, but the finished laminated print is spot on.
It can't, for the reasons you stated. You can get it close enough that most people will be happy with it though.