• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cedar sign finishing for natural look

laserfred

Hello guys

What would you use for a durable natural finish on a 48x36" cedar sign. The cedar panel is 1.75" thick. This is for the background only. The text and graphics will be made in aluminum and acrylic.
thanks!

SignManiac

Look into a clear oil based penetrating sealer if you want it to stay natural. Make sure you let it soak in plenty, especially if it's an outdoor sign. At some point in the future it might even need another coat if they want it to last for many years.

sardocs

I have been using Sikkens Cetol oil finish for 20 years without any issues. Lettering enamel sticks to it fine. They make a waterbased version and I'm trying it on a few small projects, but the oil based stuff is real good on cedar. Here are a few pics of the signs in my makeshift carving shop right now, and a couple finished ones. If after a few years the finish looks dull, a quick rub with a scotchbrite pad, and then a wipe with a Cetol dipped rag gets 'em looking good again for the next few years.

Attachments

• CAR SHOW 089.jpg
    CAR SHOW 089.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 124
  • CAR SHOW 062.jpg
    CAR SHOW 062.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 132
  • CAR SHOW 094.jpg
    CAR SHOW 094.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 128
  • dsc_0032-web.jpg
    dsc_0032-web.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 130
  • Scan0166.jpg
    Scan0166.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 139

laserfred

thanks for both replies, very helpful.

Wow, love these! especially the one with the oval insert.

I just checked for the Sikkens oil finish and it seems it's available at a store not too far (I'm in Quebec, Canada). thanks!

sardocs

Laserfred - Thanks, the oval insert in that sign is yellow cedar. It's finished with Cetol Marine Clear Topcoat. It's supposed to go overtop of regular cetol for the UV protection, but the client wanted the whiteness of the wood to show. It's been in the weather for 5 years now and some greyish spots are just beginning to appear under the clearcoat. The "logo" was not my design. I only designed the sign itself. The cedar oval is mounted in two flat iron hoops separated by welding some solid stainless 1" bars between them.

laserfred

Also, you seem to have your own technique for creating the faux wood relief... how do you go about this? do you swoosh a hand held router / trimmer with a bullnose bit on ? lol.. I've seen similare done with a chain saw too.. or just plain old chisel?

sardocs

I have a lot of different routers and die-grinders that I use. I used to blast 'em a lot and I still do some that way. I'm home based on a couple acres and I have a hillbilly blast booth and a big diesel compressor. The large school signs mount hip height in school yards so they need to be more durable than the venetian blind effect I get from the blaster. Kids are gonna climb on these and rub the faces with sneakers. I route the background down with a hand held router, then go at 'em with a die grinder holding a small ball rasp. Sorta gives 'em a driftwood, weathered texture. I have quite a bit of fun this way and I don't have to suit up the way I do to blast.
I try to follow the grain somewhat but it crosses over and creates wild grain patterns when the Cetol hits it.